1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

With gay marriage decided, what will be the next big left-led social change?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 30, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Left: Republican politicians are afraid to take a position on the Confederate flag for fear of alienating their racist base.

Me: Why don't you clean up your own house and integrate the building construction trades? And, why won't someone like Hillary Clinton, a champion of African-Americans, or Barack Obama, our first Black president, speak up and lead on this issue. We know there are no racists in the Democratic party, so their should be nothing to fear; nothing to hold them back, right?

The Left: (Crickets.)

Starman: You want to outlaw unions!

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

1. Several Republican politicians have taken a position, despite alienating some of their racist base.

2. How does the government have say over the makeup of building construction trades?

3. I like crickets. They make a soothing sound.

4. Republicans most certainly are doing their best to weaken or destroy unions. Right to work!

3. YankeeFan

How does the government involve itself in anything? Congress has held hearings on any number of issues. Hold a fucking hearing.

If "union only" rules are used as a protection racket by racist unions to keep blacks who can't join their unions from competing against them, that's an issue.

But, hey, the Dukes of Hazard reruns are off of TV Land, so progress. Don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back.

old_tony and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Calling MC Soft for my rap name. Dibs!

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. YankeeFan

Democrats: We elected a Black President, what more do you want from us to prove we support diversity?

Me: How about you diversify your racist building trade unions?

Democrats: Hey now, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Change will come naturally, gradually. No need to get uppity about it and demand change now.

old_tony likes this.
  6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If blacks are truly not allowed to join unions simply because of their race, they should come down hard on the unions. It's not something that I am aware of.

7. YankeeFan

Of course you aren't aware of it.

Check your white privilege and open up your eyes.

It's been an issue for 100 fucking years. But, hey, you can feel good about yourself because you're a liberal, you care, and you're pro-union.

And, you're against the Confederate Battle Flag and the car from the Dukes of Hazard. With that kind of hard core support for diversity the building trades will surely diversify on their own any day now.

old_tony and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

old_tony, Mr. Sunshine and YankeeFan like this.
  9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

To be clear, I mostly hate the car from Dukes of Hazzard because of that ugly, orange paint job.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

This is one of the funniest lines ever posted here. David Frum-like in its absurd simplicity.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm not making any comments about historical discrimination and why it happened, because I'm sure it happened an awful lot.

But, that link, from 2011, says "since 2000, there have been over 4,200 complaints filed against unions for racial discrimination with the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission."

For shits and giggles, the TOTAL number of racial discrimination complaints filed with the EEOC from 2000-2010 is 331,883. Hence (unless I'm reading it wrong):

• Union complaints make up about 1.2 percent of all racial discrimination complaints.
    • Union jobs make up 11 percent of the total workforce.
    • Assuming the workforce remained steady, that's one complaint per 3,500 union workers, give or take.
    • Total, it's one complaint per 391 workers.
    • Racial complaints make up about 35 percent of all discrimination claims.
    • If we're going to judge very, very generously, we can say racial discrimination in unions is no more or no less a problem as it is in ANY workplace.
    • A quick Googling (Hi Ragu!) shows 17 laws passed to combat workplace discrimination.
    The disparate number regarding unions would be the public vs. private ones. Meaning, the number of public-sector union employees is almost equal to that of private-sector ones even though the private sector is much, much larger. Also, meaning 35 percent of public employees are unionized, as opposed to 6 percent of private employees.

Whether those numbers need to increase or decrease for one group, the other or both is up to you to decide.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Kind of sounds like that whole 1-in-5 college rape thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted