1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Overtime pay

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Wander_mutt, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That's where you just put in the 40, and when the ME asks why you didn't cover something or why you're not showing up for the end of your week, that you say that you're making sure your overtime is "zeroed out".

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

They'll make your life a living hell. You'll be fired if you try to put overtime.

Finally, somebody admits it. Everybody I know does this. Yes we give the company a lot of work for free.

You have to or you'll be fired. It's expected of you.

He said he's an NHL beat writer. You work every single day and you tweet at off hours. 70-80 hours minimum. This twitter silliness would come to an end if Gannett higher ups had to pay for the overtime. The minute a reporter tweets something on his beat from home ... that is WORK and he/she should be paid for it. Good luck getting a cent of overtime at my shop.

4. Baron Scicluna

Put a tape recorder in your pocket when you confront your boss on overtime. There's your proof.

donjulio15 likes this.
  5. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

People today are more concerned with "me, me, me" than putting out a good product. Who cares if you have to work 50 hours instead of 40 if that's what's needed to put out a quality product?

SBR likes this.
  6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Management must love you.

You completely de-value your profession by working for free.

7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I think there's an other side to it, too. How long have newspaper companies and execs played the "me, me, me" card when it comes to every aspect of the business? If we're going to be playing by an "every man for himself and fuck everyone else," then it's a game that goes both ways. Don't lay people off so the CEO gets another couple-hundred thousand dollars, and wonder why employees are looking out for themselves.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Giving away your work hurts not only yourself, but everybody in your profession. Your newspaper doesn't provide its ad space as a community service. You should treat your work with the same respect.

9. donjulio15

donjulio15 Member

I just "zeroed" the hell out of there ...

10. Baron Scicluna

If management feels that it takes 50 hours to put out a quality product, then they can pay for it. If they're not willing to pay for it, then they must not care enough for the product.

And if the company doesn't care enough about the product that they have money invested in, then why do you?

11. SBR

SBR Member

Because doing quality work is an investment in your own career.

SnarkShark likes this.
  12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That is true to an extent. If you are working extra because you want to, that's your business.

If your boss is scheduling you so that there is no way you could do it in 4o hours, that's on the boss.

And when layoffs come, I have seen guys who were 60-70 hour-a-week workhorses get it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.