1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer -- The Murray Ledger & Times (Murray, Ky.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Edward Marlowe, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Edward Marlowe

Edward Marlowe New Member

Just a heads up. The application process is now closed -- unless you're interested in high school. We have a great list of qualified candidates, and I've nearly made the rounds with phone calls to every applicant. I appreciate everyone's input and interest in the position and look forward to guiding the process to the next step. I won't have much to do with the hiring process since I'll be leaving in two weeks, but I'll be trying to set up a base and train as much as I can before I leave.

2. Edward Marlowe

Another quick update; I know I have been in touch with more than 30 applicants for this position -- all while working through my final weeks here at the Murray Ledger.

Our publisher is now in control of the hiring process, and has all of the resumes on his desk. I was able to pull several very qualified candidates to the side and have him look over qualifications. I'm hoping he gets in touch with everyone over the next week or so and finishes the hiring process.

I will be in touch with everyone as changes begin to become more clear. I want to thank everyone for their interest and consideration for this position. Your work has not gone unnoticed.

3. Edward Marlowe

A quick update:

Over the last few weeks, I have spoken with a number of qualified candidates for both the high school and Murray State beat reporter positions available at the Murray Ledger. I thank everyone for their interest in the positions.

That being said, after placing several resumes on my former publisher's desk, I believe he has completed his hiring process -- selecting recent Freed Hardeman graduate Bryce Rudd for high school athletics and southern Illinois area reporter Jeff Arenz for Murray State sports.

I'm not sure if my publisher has made contact with any of the other candidates over the phone to discuss the job or thank anyone for their interest in the position. We had a wide swath of candidates that hailed from all across the country, and if you didn't get a call from my former boss, I sincerely apologize. I wish you all the best of luck in the future and hope to hear from you in the coming years as all of our careers continue to develop.

Draft saved Draft deleted