1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Walt Palmer, a dentist from Minnesota, and his bow and arrow are about to have an interesting week

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Jul 28, 2015.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Hemingway's no hero of mine, so i have no problem shitting on this dentist.

I do give the founding fathers a pass.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Nah. The people who participate in the Shaming Culture have no shame themselves. Those who would be embarrassed in 20 years are embarrassed already.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Christ, that is such simplistic thinking. You know, just because Jones likes Hemingway as a writer does not mean he approves of every damn thing he did. There is a difference between what we do for a living and who we are as people. When Jones praised Hemingway he was talking about his work, not his personal life. For all I know Palmer might be a wonderful dentist--and if someone wants to praise his dentistry, fine by me--but doesn't mean we can't also condemn him for illegally killing animals to compensate for his tiny pecker.

And, fwiw, there was plenty not to admire about Hemingway as a person. Great writer and adventurer though he may've been, he also happened to be a mentally unstable alcoholic who had no qualms about abandoning his family, cheating on his wives, spending half his life drunk, and battled severe depression and inner demons that eventually drove him to an early suicide. No exactly the grandest endorsement for big game hunters.

And, besides, I don't believe Hemingway was ever prosecuted for illegal poaching, and I don't believe he employed tactics such as illegally luring a people-friendly tagged animal outside of a protected park just to blast it the moment it stepped outside the park boundary.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think it's also possible Hemingway didn't go on canned hunts too, which is a little different from this situation.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Also, Hemingway killed animals with his bare hands.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Social media didn't exist when Hemingway was alive. If it did, there would've been plenty of "outrage" on display.

People didn't yet have a vehicle with which to publicize their unsolicited, often meaningless and ignorant opinions.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Hemingway would have been a favorite whipping boy of Gawker.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Much like Jones is now.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Some things are more complex than other. Killing a lion that was harming no one and was a national treasure is pretty straightforward on the outrage meter.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I know a guy who hunts during primitive weapons season in Virginia. I'm not a hunter, but I really respect what he does to get his deer.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It was pretty much agreed that Hemingway was a complete asshole even while he was alove.

YankeeFan and Ace like this.
  12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hell, you'd really love deer season in Wisconsin then.

Draft saved Draft deleted