1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Walt Palmer, a dentist from Minnesota, and his bow and arrow are about to have an interesting week

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Depends. Was it Shamu? Then, probably.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

High-fence hunting is an abomination.

Ace likes this.
  3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Yep, and I think this is where that prior 2006 criminal conviction kills his credibility. He's already proven that he has little to no regard for hunting laws, and he's already proven that he'll lie to authorities about this sort of thing, so why should we believe him now?

I'm confident this guy knew exactly what was going on and was likely encouraging it. Hell, I can just hear what he was likely screaming at these guys... "Gawdamnit I paid you $50,000 to shoot a lion so you better find me a damn lion to shoot now!"

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    Ace likes this.
  4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I can't believe you're actually making this comparison, but I'll try to give a serious answer anyway:

Sure, the concept is the same on a purely intellectual level. But there's a difference between a 5-year-old catching a fish and showing it off and actual poaching or even just regular big-game hunting. (And Cecil's case was anything BUT that, not in any way, shape or form).

A 5-yearold, though, presumably is not the habitual, purposeful hunter that someone like Palmer is. And the impact your 5-year-old may have is negligible, given that he probably doesn't have the means to spend, say, $50,0000, even on a one-time basis, to buy himself that many fish, whether in a barrel, on a fish farm or anywhere else.

Also, if a kid (or his dad) catches a fish (and don't release it), the assumption can easily be made that he (or you) may eat it. That's a legitimate, even life-affirming reason for his "hunting." The same almost undoubtedly can't be said for Palmer's hunting or his big-game victims (And again, certainly not in Cecil's case). The fish also actually is a food animal, not in the same place either on the evolutionary scale, or even within its own population in terms of "value," since we have to attach some with respect to his discussion.

Just on the basis of sheer numbers, fish are far more plentiful (and therefore, more expendable) than big-game animals, particularly because, even more critically, fish are much more readily replenished than any big-game animal, by a differences of not just hundreds, but thousands, and perhaps even millions, to one, when it comes to gestation periods, births and general population numbers. Even lions, a relatively plentiful big-game target among the big-five of Africa's animal kingdom, have been drastically reduced in numbers over the past century, going from a population of 200,000 in Africa down to fewer than 30,000 now, according to a National Geographic study cited in many reports about Cecil's death.

Your kid's fish? I don't know how many there are, but I'd bet my life the number is way more than that.

Do you really need this explanation with regard to my previous post?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Question: If Mr. Palmer has a felony on his record, is he even able to legally own a gun in the United States?

6. WriteThinking

Shamu is not a fish.:)

Ace likes this.
  7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Should have gone with Charlie the Tuna, I reckon.

8. WriteThinking

Maybe, but the point stands.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

The lesson is that if you're gonna kill something, make sure it's human.

11. WriteThinking

I completely agree. That probably is exactly what Palmer was saying as he followed Cecil, who was first hit by the guy's crossbow but not killed until Palmer shot him with a rifle, and then skinned and beheaded him. After tracking the wounded lion for 40 hours.

Well, I'm glad Cecil made that idiot work for 40 hours for his $50,000 price before succumbing, at least.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Correct. And it used to help if you were a police officer. Not so much anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted