1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS/College hoops reporter/editor (Philadelphia)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jmverlin, Jul 21, 2015.

1. jmverlin

jmverlin New Member

Hey guys--
    This won't be the most formal posting that you've seen on this site, but I figured it couldn't hurt to put something up and see if anybody's interested in a slightly crazy, but worthwhile opportunity.

For the last three years, City of Basketball Love has been providing high-quality coverage of high school and college basketball in the greater Philadelphia region, including southern New Jersey and a little bit of Delaware hoops as well. We cover 10 Division I basketball programs (Drexel, Delaware, La Salle, Lafayette, Lehigh, Penn, Penn State, Saint Joseph's, Temple, Villanova) and are at every home game as well as a good number of road games; we also check in on local Division II and III programs, and do a lot on the city's great high school and recruiting scene.

As long as we've been a website, we've relied on unpaid interns--high school and college students--for coverage, but we've grown to the point where that has to change. CoBL received an investment this spring and has gotten to the point where we can afford to hire someone full-time, but that person needs to be able to help out in a variety of ways. I'm looking for someone with a journalism background like myself (I graduated from Temple University in 2012 with a degree in broadcast journalism), because ultimately the site's main focus is its coverage--this job features a mix of breaking news, game coverage, feature stories and notebooks, everything from local summer/fall league games to the NCAA Tournament. You'll assist in scheduling and credential requests, working with some of the younger writers and helping guide the overall coverage of the site.

Recently, CoBL has also expanded into hosting camps and basketball clinics. While I'm sure not many of you have experience in this area, I stand as proof that anyone with a strong work ethic and a decent basketball knowledge can certainly help out in planning and running these events, and part of the salary would be determined by camp profit.

So to sum it all up, I'm looking for someone to help me run CoBL for the next year or two, and see where things go. There's certainly a lot of potential here, but I can't take the business to where it needs to be by myself.

If this opportunity interests any of you in any way, please reach out to me: josh.verlin@gmail.com, with some writing samples and resume, and we'll talk!

Thanks,
    Josh Verlin
    City of Basketball Love
    Owner/Editor

2. jmverlin

jmverlin New Member

We are no longer accepting submissions for this posting.

3. CBE088

CBE088 New Member

Pay? Also, salary is contingent upon camp profit — how does THAT work?

Draft saved Draft deleted