1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cincinnati, you're on the clock

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by three_bags_full, Jul 22, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Huh. Will be interesting to hear from the "just obey the cop and you'll be OK" crowd on this one.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Mom press conference now. Glad I'm not trying to get a quote out of it. Yeesh.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

So you think that's not good advice now?

4. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

The mayor got tough. As opposed to "give them room to destroy (the businesses of people who bring in tax revenue to this city)."

5. LongTimeListener

What if it doesn't work? We have now two recent cases in which it clearly didn't.

It's good advice. Has served me well as a white guy. I don't know how helpful it is to someone who is stopped for a missing front license plate or failing to use a turn signal.

6. doctorquant

In those cases, do you think not obeying would have been a better strategy? Similarly, would a broad pattern of not obeying lead to more or fewer deaths at the hands of the police?

I'm not really trying to bust your chops here, but I think it's awfully dangerous to assume that, in general, an encounter with the police is as fraught with peril as these incidents were. There's a reason we're outraged by them, and that's because they're outrageous.

7. LongTimeListener

But I think the police bullying tactics are far, far more common than you think they are, and it's only because of the submissive posture of "the accused" that we don't hear more about them. And that's seriously fucked up, and people pointing to the victim's role in escalating the situation need to really ask themselves what kind of policing they want to have. And in all of these cases, it doesn't take long before we wonder what the person did, because they must have done something, right?

As I've said before, the police I know say if we implement body cameras, they'll look good and the public will look bad. To which I always say, Great! Then you should welcome cameras! Yet somehow they don't welcome cameras.

8. doctorquant

All I know is that I think it would be outrageously irresponsible to tell people to not obey the police. Do that and you're going to wind up with a helluva lot of bodies in the street.

9. LongTimeListener

Agreed.

However, look back on our two most recent threads, and the political commentary all over the Internet and cable, and you will find an assumption that these victims must have caused their circumstances because the police are nice if you are.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It would be irresponsible not to obey a criminal toting a gun, frankly.

at any rate, people do weird shit when they're afraid. Like get worried that, if they get out of the car, they're going to be killed like the dude in south carolina. Or manhandled like the guy in baltimore. Or hauled in like Sandra Bland. Or, now, murdered like the guy in Cincinnati.

Until we de-arm cops, they can kill you at the drop of a hat, and that's scary as shit.

11. LongTimeListener

Having watched the video, my thoughts are:

1) It was an execution.

2) He will be found not guilty.

The video is blurry and chaotic enough that he can sell "I thought he was reaching for a weapon."

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

... and 3) it will not be tried in Cincinnati. Prosecutor's comments have all but insured that, I think. Defense attorney already railing against those comments and has mentioned a motion to move the trial.

I think the defense might try for a "I pulled my gun because I sensed a threat, but the shooting itself was an accident" tack. In either case (he had a gun or oops), Tensing's false report is going to be awfully tough to overcome.

Draft saved Draft deleted