1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deflategate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cranberry, Jan 19, 2015.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think it's a bit much to suggest Brady shouldn't still be playing, but I do think Brady's defenders are vastly underplaying the significance of destroying the cell phone.

That said, I really think any time somebody brings up Brady disposing of the cell phone, they should also mention Goodell destroying the Spygate tapes.

2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

The destruction of which was mutually beneficial for the league and the Patriots.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No argument there. I'm always amazed how easily Goodell got away with that one.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

He's also white, so Bill would like to see him go away. And if Rhoden thinks this completely changes his legacy, then it won't affect it one bit.

heyabbott likes this.
  5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Serious question here. What would have prevented Brady from simply telling the NFL to eat a dick when they asked for the cell phone and, in his statement yesterday, stating publicly that the NFL "had no right to my cell phone and can eat a dick if they think they do."
    I'm amazed at how everyone in this mess is trying to sway public opinion by proclaiming to be 100 percent innocent.
    Brady should have come out right after this story broke and said, point blank, that "I instructed the equipment members of our team to soften the footballs because I prefer to throw them that way. I assumed that if they violated some sort of NFL rule that they would be reinflated by officials whose job is it to ensure the rules are followed."
    Instead, he's trying to proclaim he's 100 percent innocent and everyone (Die hard Pats fans like me included) know it's bullshit.
    OF COURSE he knew the footballs were deflated. OF COURSE he instructed them to be treated that way. On the large list of things he could have done to ruin the integrity of the game, this ranks slightly higher than writing "THE NFL SUCKS ASS" on the inside of his sweat pants where no one can see in terms of criminality.
    But instead we get a ton of people who want to show they have the biggest dick in the room and it's an embarrassment for everyone included and everyone who is/was/will be an NFL fan.

6. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Standard player contract gives the Commissioner a lot of power to protect the "integrity of the game." Some posters here aren't good at "baroning" info.

14. INTEGRITY OF GAME. Player recognizes the detriment to the League and professional football that would result from impairment of public confidence in the honest and orderly conduct of NFL games or the integrity and good character of NFL players. Player therefore acknowledges his awareness that if he accepts a bribe or agrees to throw or fix an NFL game; fails to promptly report a bribe offer or an attempt to throw or fix an NFL game; bets on an NFL game; knowingly associates with gamblers or gambling activity; uses or provides other players with stimulants or other drugs for the purpose of attempting to enhance on-field performance; or is guilty of any other form of conduct reasonably judged by the League Commissioner to be detrimental to the League or professional football, the Commissioner will have the right, but only after giving Player the opportunity for a hearing at which he may be represented by counsel of his choice, to fine Player in a reasonable amount, to suspend Player for a period certain or indefinitely, and/or to terminate this contract.

7. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

That would have been complete bullshit, though.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

This won't even be a tiny blip on the radar as far as legacy goes. No one in Green Bay is talking about that year Hornung was suspended.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You are of course right.
    PS: I realize trying to use logic on this ridiculous situation is foolish, but Brady's bizarre reluctance to give the league access to his messages on the situation indicates that he's either gotten a lot dumber than he was when I covered him or that some of his messages to the equipment guys could have been interpreted by a hostile figure, which Goodell sure is, as bribery in return for lies.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

The Minnesota judges refuse to take the case...rule there is no reason for it to be heard there. Loss for Brady and NFLPA

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I can't believe you'd speculate on Brady's tone that way while not being outraged by the tone with which the Planned Parenthood doctor talked about crushing those poor babies.

Draft saved Draft deleted