1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cincinnati, you're on the clock

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by three_bags_full, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Maybe I should reconsider my behavior since I do live in Palm Beach County

http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/policeshootings/

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I am curious ... why do you routinely drive without your license? Since I've had a license, the only time I've ever driven without it was that one time I dropped it (without realizing it) while going through airport security. I only realized it was missing several days later.

3. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I take my dogs to the dog park or other walking trails where I don't want to carry extra stuff and don't want to leave valuables in my car. Don't bring it when I go to the gym or the barn, unless I'm running errands before or after those stops. I know Florida law allows me to get out of any citation for not having a license on me if I produce it later.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I regularly drive without my license. Usually I can't find my wallet right then and my kids need to get somewhere. Probably once or twice a month.

I hope I don't get shot, but I will accept a baton beating.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm a flagrant and unrepentant jaywalker.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

A couple of months ago, I did a serious rolling stop onto an empty street (except for a cop car) in my neighborhood at 4:30 in the morning. I was going to the gym, and in gym clothes with a gym bag, and no license.

Cop didn't care about the license and gave me a warning. I also kept my hands on the wheel and said yes sir, no sir to a guy 20 years younger than me.

Thank god I am white.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

What's odd is that most police guns are holstered and have a strap that keeps them in place and it has snap, or a velcro closure that an officer has to undo, then draw the weapon.

The amount of time in the video, it appears that the strap was undone when he got out of the car, which is a huge no no for law enforcement. It makes it appear that you are seeking a confrontation.

Most cops also carry tasers and or bean bag guns as a non lethal way to stop someone.

The fact that he went for the gun first indicates, to me, a poorly trained police officer who made a traffic stop go bad in a very fast way.

>> Don't have your gun's holster unsnapped.
    >> Don't reach in the car.
    >> Don't approach the car from the driver's side

The officer also had backup at the scene. My best guess is that the driver saw the other patrol cars roll up and got a little freaked out but that's all on the cop for turning a minor traffic violation into a multiple officer clusterfuck.

What should the cop have done?

Step back, put his hand on his taser and order the man to turn off the car, take off his seat belt and get out of the car. Then repeat the order, if he still doesn't comply, draw the non-lethal weapon and repeat the order. Also have the backup move around to the front of the vehicle.

And, really, at least one of the cars that responded, should have come in from the other way so the front of their car is facing the guy's car.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Ohh, and the Guardian just reported that the two other cops at the scene, the ones who lied to cover the shooter, were previously implicated in the death of an unarmed, hospitalized and mentally ill black man in 2010.

Nothing like tasing a guy to death. Good times.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I ask again: If he felt a threat, why isn't that reflected in the incident report? Wouldn't his fellow officers, who were quite willing to lie on his behalf, have mentioned the alleged threat in the report if he had communicated it to them?

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I don't have an answer to that question.

11. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

JayFarrar must be in favor of shooting DuBose, since anyone who doesn't think he should have just been let off with a smile, or not even pulled over, wanted him dead. #nomiddleground

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"Once the system is primed for maximizing revenue—starting with fines and fine enforcement, the city relies on the police force to serve, essentially, as a collection agency for the municipal court rather than a law enforcement entity."

In Alabama, a circuit court judge, Hub Harrington, wrote a blistering opinion three years ago asserting that the Shelby County Jail had become a kind of "debtors' prison" and that the court system had devolved into a "judicially sanctioned extortion racket." This pattern leads to a cruel paradox: One arm of the state is paying a large sum to lock up a person who can't pay a small sum owed to a different arm of the state. The result? Bigger state deficits. As the director of the Brennan Center's Justice Program put it, "Having taxpayers foot a bill of $4,000 to incarcerate a man who owes the state $745 or a woman who owes a predatory lender $425 and removing them from the job force makes sense in no reasonable world." ...

When the mission of the entire department shifts from "protect and serve" to "punish and profit," then just what constitutes good police?

Police Shootings Won't Stop Unless We Also Stop Shaking Down Black People | Mother Jones

Draft saved Draft deleted