1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter - Newport News, VA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Seeking sports reporter

Date Posted June 11, 2015
    Location Newport News, Virginia
    Job Status Not Specified
    Salary Not Specified
    Website http://www.dailypress.com

Description:
    The Daily Press, located in Newport News, Va., is looking for a reporter to cover high school athletics. The ideal candidate will have a digital-first approach to news, embrace social media and video, have the ability to develop sources and be a strong storyteller. We want someone who can cover a game and file on a tight deadline, but who can also develop enterprise stories and localize trends and topics. You’ll work with a veteran staff in an area that often has local connections to national sports events and stories.

The Daily Press is located on the Virginia Peninsula, bordered by the Chesapeake Bay, James River and York River. We cover a region with multiple cities and counties, including Newport News, Hampton, Yorktown and Williamsburg. We are home to Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens Williamsburg and Fort Monroe. We offer a great place to live and work.

Send your resume, cover letter, three references and five writing samples to Sports Editor Andi Petrini at apetrini@dailypress.com.

2. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

3. DCorNothing

DCorNothing New Member

Applied. Looking forward to hearing back!

4. jsimp

jsimp Member

Anything new with this one?

5. Lynn Burke

Lynn Burke Member

I have been on vacation and am just getting back to the office. From what I'm told, we have narrowed well more than 100 candidates down to the ones we want to interview.

6. Lynn Burke

Lynn Burke Member

Since this was posted twice, I'll update it twice .... the position is filled. No name to put out there yet, but once we know all notifications have been made, I'll do that.

7. Lynn Burke

Lynn Burke Member

We have hired Kate Yanchulis, a graduate of the University of Maryland, for our open high school reporting job. Kate covered Maryland's football and men's basketball team for the Diamondback. She has worked for the Fairfax County Times for the past couple of years covering the education beat and helping out the sports editor.

Draft saved Draft deleted