1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dressed to the 501s

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by joe_schmoe, Jul 30, 2015.

1. BrownScribe

BrownScribe Active Member

I wore slacks and a dress shirt to my first newspaper job interview. The managing editor looked at me and said something to the effect of "You look sharp, but don't ever dress that nice here again. You'll make the rest of us look bad." I've always took pride in my wardrobe. So I was usually overdressed for sports... My go to was nice, dark jeans and button down shirt for football and basketball games. Got a little crazier in the summer. Funny thing is once I moved over to the news side at the same paper, I think I got even more casual. It really depends on the paper.

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

It's a badge of honor in the industry to dress like a slob.

[​IMG]

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Props to joe_schmoe for the clever thread title.

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

This is exactly the point. Never give them extra reasons not to hire you. I think the exceptions where you aren't hired because you are OVERdressed (like Evil's example) are going to be extremely rare. I loathe wearing a suit, but I've worn one for every job interview I've been on.

5. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

This discussion brings back memories of my first boss in the early '80s. His wardrobe was best described as "Ward Cleaver meets second-hand store" -- out-of-style cardigan sweaters, cheap polyester suits. shirts and slacks, wing-tip dress shoes, clip-on ties. If that wasn't bad enough, many of his shirts and slacks were in Day-Glo colors that didn't match. Even the local high school coaches, most of whom weren't exactly great dressers themselves, made fun of his clothing. One unforgettable moment at a staff party was when a co-worker, after a few beers, asked my boss' wife if her husband was color-blind.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

If you're applying for any gig at a respectable publication, you gotta at least go jacket, no tie and dress shoes.

I personally think ties are a scourge on this earth.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I hate ties. I can barely tie one. Last time, it took me 30 minutes to get it right, so, once I do, I just loosen them and slip them off over my head. That said, wear one to your damn interview. You can always loosen it or take it off.

8. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I once had a job where the copy editors and news editors had to wear ties but advertising, sports reporters and photographers did not

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago, the copy desk here wore pajamas and brought breakfast potluck for the Christmas Eve shift. I thought it was hilarious.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I own two suits. One that sort of actually fits. I have worn a suit 3 times as an adult. Once to my 10-year HS reunion, one to mom's funeral and to a good friend's wedding at the end of last year. We had our 25th reunion last weekend. So the suit I wore to my buddy's wedding I hadn't worn for almost 15 years. The one I wore to mom's funeral in between was for a slimmer version of myself.

As for the thread, I think I have worn a tie to every job interview I've had since I got out of college. So, that might be three times. I actually like to dress up on occasion and sometimes wonder what it would be like to work in an environment like that. But then I feel lucky that I can wear pretty much whatever I want to the office. If I get a new job, which is probably going to have to happen sooner than later, I'll need to buy a full wardrobe.

11. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

I'm in the northeast. You don't show up for an interview with a tie, I would throw you out. I mean, come on. Jeans? Really? You don't need the suit, but slacks and a blue blazer (and every man should have one) aren't too difficult to dress in,

12. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I'm old school, and I've always shown up to interview in a jacket & tie. To me, it's communicating that I'm a professional and I care enough about being one that I'll take an extra step to dress nicely (if it happens to make me stand out, so much the better).

Once getting the job, I'll see how everyone else is dressed and fit in. Polo & dress pants are usually good, but if I'm covering something outdoors (or a HS event), I'm probably wearing shorts and a polo.

I was only once told I was overdressed for an interview (and I knew I was, from the company culture, but I still figured it was better to be overdressed than underdressed). I was offered the job. However, for the (non-journalism) job I have and am working now, wearing a suit likely helped me stand out, given the boss specifically complimented my dress in the interview (and I knew, whenever he was around, make sure I was seen in a tie more often than not, and if I knew he was going to be around, grab a sportcoat or jacket).

Draft saved Draft deleted