1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deflategate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cranberry, Jan 19, 2015.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That wasn't your argument. We're talking about the Hardy comparison, which doesn't work at all.

Nobody has to convince me that Goodell is in the wrong on most of this stuff. That doesn't excuse Brady at all.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Bullshit, you have 0 proof he is covering up. Likely, but no proof and we know how much you like your proof.

Nobody, in any walk of life should give up their private phone to their employer.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

4. Slight Steelerjack ...

You were warned; why the Patriots and other franchises should have listened to the Steelers - Behind the Steel Curtain

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

There is another pattern here — a very unseemly pattern of unethical behavior by the league office under Goodell’s leadership. First, there is always a leak from the league that commands a big headline and gins up public indignation. Next comes a disciplinary hammer from Goodell that makes him look like a hero-protector. But when the excitement dies down and actual facts emerge, it all turns out to be a souped-up overreach.

6. outofplace

He destroyed his cell phone within a day of speaking to Wells. He claimed it was what he always does, even though he did NOT destroy his previous cell phone. Also, he lied during the investigation. That is not zero proof. You want to say it isn't enough, that's fair. But it is not zero proof.

I don't disagree with your point about giving up a private phone, but it depends what kind of contract the employee has with an employer. I'm not saying he should have turned it over, but destroying it at that exact time? At the very least, it was stupid.

As Evil pointed out, the Patriots stood with the rest of the league in allowing Goodell this kind of power. The Steelers were mostly ignored and their protests were laughed off as being only self-interest at the time, but they have been proven correct.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Pretty sure he doesn't look at it that way. Players' careers are short enough. Being robbed of games played hurts whether you're paid or not.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Who gives a shit how he looks at it.

9. outofplace

You don't think the impact on the person being punished matters when evaluating a punishment?

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This is how I see it as well. Once Brady dug in his heels and threatened to take it to federal court, ol' Rog accepted the challenge. And I've argued it on here a few times, but as tony and oop say, the fact that guys are paid during suspensions does not mean it isn't punishment. Keep professional athletes off the field, or any professional, for that matter, is definitely punishment.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Is there a clause in the contract that guarantees playing time? He got paid in full. His feelings don't mean a thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted