1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the master of multi-platform media?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kayaugstin Kott, Aug 1, 2015.

1. For my money, as polarizing as he is, it is Dan Le Batard:
    — 3-hour national radio show
    — 1-hour local radio show
    — 30 minute TV show

And there's the occasional fill-in on PTI and, unfortunately, less-than-occasional column.

Who do you guys think truly conquer the radio/podcast-TV/video podcast-newspaper/blog, all-encompassing blog?

Also, what do you think is to be gained from delving into one medium as opposed to the other ... Specifically, if, like a columnist, you're giving your opinion on all the platforms.

EDIT: This is not just national; it includes statewide, regional and local figures.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Howard Stern, the King of All Media.

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

A good discussion that came out of APSE about column writing was that having a regular radio show usually hurts a columnist's columns. Being alive on more than a single medium is great, but it's probably better to really champion one and keep it as the focus. But full disclosure, two of the panelists were Bob Ryan and Bill Plaschke, and they tackle TV on a regular basis.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Bruce Leroy. The one and only Master.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Grantland-era Bill Simmons.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If you start doing long-ass radio shows, the caliber of writing and reporting goes way down.

There's as much good journalism going on right now as most times, but opinion-making and column writing has been struggled for some time.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Further: What is to be gained by your columnist hosting a 3-hour radio show? Whatever you gain, you tend to lose in terms of readers who can hear for free what they're going read later. You also lose quality.

If columnist wants the full-time radio gig, I'd say "see ya." Honestly.

8. AD

AD Active Member

verducci. quality across the board: magazine, web, TV commentator -- and on his own terms.

Potter likes this.
  9. AD

AD Active Member

forgot to mention verducci's best-selling torre tome: web, magazine, TV, books. i'd call that multi-platform.

10. SBR

SBR Member

Yes and I don't think anyone has come close. Three podcasts a week, radio guest spots, columns, TV commentary, edited Grantland, helped produce a film series and has 4 million Twitter followers. And wrote a couple books. The guy is a friggin' workhorse.

Draft saved Draft deleted