1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dressed to the 501s

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by joe_schmoe, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I'm 34. Don't own a suit. I have ties but rarely wear them. I interview in a nice shirt and a brown sport coat/blazer thing with slacks. I look nice enough for what I'm usually interviewing for. Of course, no job I could land is ever going to pay me north of $30K, so I'm dressing appropriately enough. I usually wear a polos and khaki shorts in the summer when it's 100-plus degrees, and nice, button down shirts and slacks in the fall/winter/spring.

And who needs ties when there are polos with embroidered company logos?

I had to wear a tie for our awards show a few months ago, so I went with a bow tie as a joke. But I got a lot of compliments.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I've worn a tie to every interview but one, where the guy said in advance not to wear one. Hate wearing them, but to me, it's something that I've always done for interviews. I'd rather be overdressed than underdressed.

3. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

I haven't heard of Combined since I left there after a 5-6 month stint. You have to wear suit, tie everyday. It sucked. Even Fridays sucked. Sold a product I didn't believe in to people who don't need it. All while wearing a suit. I left and helped a friend build a bar, then bartender and helped him manage his bar, restaurant until I got hired on at a twice weekly as the ME. Have only worn a suit 10-12 times since then. Mostly for weddings and funerals and special functions.

4. I did a ride along with an agent for a day, and yeah, not for me ...

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

No way in hell I'd wear jeans for a formal interview. Damn. Have some self-respect. If I were interviewing someone with little regard for their dress or appearance then I'd be leery about them. Appearances matter, despite what many believe.

Tarheel316 likes this.
  6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Jeans? Jesus Christ. Just show up in a t-shirt with the sleeves cut off too.

Riptide likes this.
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Heck, don't bother wearing a shirt at all. It worked for Chris Gardner.

8. Come on, class it up a bit: A tuxedo t-shirt, the perfect compliment to skinny leg jeans.

9. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

The company I am currently working for flew me out for an interview. I wore a suit and the long overcoat (it was the middle of winter). When the ME picked me up at the airport wearing a green pair of jeans, I figured I was overdressed. Didn't matter. Since being hired, I'm back to the comfort of jeans and a t-shirt.
    As a-hole as it might sound, I cannot see myself hiring anyone who shows up in jeans for an interview.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

You interviewed with Captain Kangaroo?!

For the youngsters: ;)
    HUGH BRANNUM, ACTOR, DIES - PLAYED MR. GREEN JEANS ON TV - NYTimes.com

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

It doesn't sound A-hole at all. This is the first impression you are giving an employer. This is you showing how seriously you take the position and how seriously you take yourself. It's not about what you're comfortable in. Fuck all that.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Last two interviews I've done, I wore a suit. I was the only one in a suit. Or a tie. One of the guys told me it was Friday, they normally wear SWEATS (a morale-building thing a the office, sweatpants Friday) but decided to go with khakis and polos since they had a job candidate in town.

Make an effort to look professional. If someone doesn't hire you because you are dressed up, you probably don't want to work for them anyway. Now, if they specifically say before the interview, "We're real casual here, jeans and a polo are fine," then fine, wear that.

Draft saved Draft deleted