1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concerts thread: Best/Worst/Next/Last one you attended?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 1, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Vintage Trouble is on the May 2 bill. They are awesome.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Lyle Lovett and His Large Band tonight at the Chicago Theatre.

Really looking forward to it. Have great seats, and it's been years since I've seen him with the Large Band.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Happy eighth birthday to this thread.

Saw Sturgill Simpson open for Old Crow Medicine Show a couple nights ago. Been wanting to see him for ages. He was fantastic. Might go see him again next month when he comes close to my orbit again.

4. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Motley Crue and Alice Cooper for my birthday last week. Had a great time.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Saw the Foo Fighters in Toronto on July 8. First Foos show for me, Dave of Thrones was fucking great.

6. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

John Mellencamp, July 17 at Jubilee Auditorium, Calgary. Rocked the joint for 2 hours. Amazing catalogue.
    Next: Hall and Oates in early September in Seattle at Paramount Theater. Tickets were a small fortune, over $600 for a pair.
    Ticket prices always seem like a bargain if it's great concert

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Michael Franti and Spearhead, Monday night (Aug. 3), the Knitting Factory in Spokane.

My wife is the big fan and she loved the show; I enjoyed it too, although I'm not a huge reggae/rap guy. Franti also can rock out with his band and really engages the crowd during the show. Plus, he walked alongside everybody waiting to get in the door before the show, strapped on his acoustic guitar, and busted out two new songs for the fans standing in line. Very cool.

Next up: Wilco, playing an outdoor gig on the shores of Lake Pend Oreille, Idaho, Aug. 15 at the Sandpoint Music Festival. Can't wait!

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I was looking for this thread two weeks ago and couldn't find it.
    Here's a video I shot at the last concert I went to - Joe Grushecky and the Housereockers, July 18, Wonder Bar Asbury Park, NJ:

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

First saw Wilco in 1996, at a freebee WXRT show at Taste of Chicago. Twenty years later, I saw them for the fifth time Saturday night at the Sandpoint (Idaho) Music Festival. They're a great live band, and the Festival is a great, great setting.

Since debuting "Star Wars" at the Pitchfork Music Festival last month, Wilco has been opening their shows with the 10 songs from their new album, played back-to-back with no breaks. The new stuff sounded good, similar to their "Ghost is Born" era music, but it took awhile for the crowd to get into it, since many of us had not heard the new tunes. But the rest of the show was high-energy, with "Art of Almost" and, of course, "Impossible Germany" among the highlights. After a two-hour set, the encore was three songs from "Being There," the 1996 album where Wilco shifted from alt-country into whatever they are now.

If any of you ever visit the North Idaho region in early August, the Festival at Sandpoint is highly recommended. Somehow this town of roughly 7,000 people brings world-class artists from a variety of musical genres to play concerts at a historic community football stadium on the shores of Lake Pend Oreille, every summer. You can bring your own food and beverages (including booze), a blanket or lawn chairs, and see great bands like Wilco close up. There's also food booths from local restaurants, and it's delicious.

Here's the Festival website: Festival at Sandpoint

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Zac Brown Band at Nats Park last weekend. OAR tomorrow night.

ZBB was great, and I expect OAR to be the same.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Wilco on July 15 at Crossroads in Kansas City. Here's the set list:
    1. Via Chicago
    2. Handshake Drugs
    3. Kamera
    4. Company in My Back
    5. Art of Almost
    6. I Am Trying to Break Your Heart
    7. One Wing
    8. Panthers
    9. Hummingbird
    10. Secret of the Sea
      (Billy Bragg & Wilco cover)
    11. Heavy Metal Drummer
    12. I'm the Man Who Loves You
    13. Sunken Treasure
    14. Jesus, Etc.
    15. Born Alone
    16. Impossible Germany
    17. New Madrid
      (Uncle Tupelo cover)
    18. Forget the Flowers
    19. California Stars
    20. Box Full of Letters
    21. Dawned On Me
    22. A Shot in the Arm
    23. Encore (all acoustic):
    24. True Love Will Find You In The End
      (Daniel Johnston cover)
    25. War on War
    26. Hesitating Beauty
    27. Give Back the Key to My Heart
      (Doug Sahm cover)
    28. Misunderstood
    I hadn't heard "Sunken Treasure" in concert since their "Being There" days. I love "New Madrid" and have since hearing it at one of Uncle Tupelo's last shows in 1994.

I didn't recognize "One Wing" and "Panthers."

12. qtlaw24

qtlaw24 Active Member

Taylor Swift; she's an engaging performer; got lucky, a client offered a couple of tickets to me since one of my boys really loves her songs and it was in a luxury box, which was an amazing experience in and of itself (unlimited food and hosted bar; TVs with game on).

Draft saved Draft deleted