1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How did you handle the Women's World Cup final?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jul 6, 2015.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

With no Monday edition, we're playing it artfully in the middle of the front for Tuesday AM. NASCAR gets overplay with the late result Sunday night and the can't-not-use image of Austin Dillon's flying car.

2. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Local stuff

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Centerpiece.

The argument was over the hed:

I wanted: 'Red, White and Blowout'
    SE wanted: 'Party like it's 1999'
    Slot chose: 'World domination'

'U.S. bombs Japan' was nixed

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Played it as a Monday centerpiece. We trolled around for a watch party, with intentions of giving that the 1A treatment, but no joy.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

It was our centerpiece with the headline "Shining C" .

6. highlander

highlander Member

Since the paper I work for is a weekly and I'm it in the sports department it was all super local.

Actually had theee stories. One about the impact of the win on soccer. Talked to higb school girls soccer coaches for that.

Another was conparing the impact of this to the 99ers win. Found out that both of our girls soccer coaches had shown the 99ers documentary to their teams the last few years. I was able to talk to some of the players and get there reaction to the win and how the 99ers gave them motivation.

One high school was holding soccer camp that week and I my two interns go to the camp and ask the girl campers if they had watched the World Cup. Even the 6 and 7 year olds said they had watched the titld game.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the headline that actually ran in our paper in the '60s.

JAP WINS MARATHON

8. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Our promotions department once had drinking glasses made with replicas of front pages on them. One of the glasses had a front page from the end of WWII had the banner headline JAPS SURRENDER. So several years ago we sponsored this banquet with all the movers and shakers in town attending, including the contingent from one of the Japanese companies. All of a sudden the promotions people went scrambling around to the tables like mad. Seems they were using the glasses as party favors or giveaways or something, and someone realized several of the glasses had the Japs headline.

Draft saved Draft deleted