1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Pharoah seeking Triple Crown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, May 16, 2015.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Looking ahead to Breeders' Cup Classic with American Pharoah - Yahoo Sports

American Pharoah's next start since winning the Belmont Stakes on June 6 has yet to be decided, although trainer Bob Baffert has been clear that the (Breeders' Cup) Classic would be the colt's final race before he's retired to Ashford Stud, about 15 miles down the road from Keeneland.

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

There are a few of options for him, but he'll likely race twice or three times before the BC. The Haskell at Monmouth seems most likely to be next, because the Zayats are from Jersey, but he could also go in the Pacific Classic at Del Mar or the Travers at Saratoga next.

Baffert hasn't shown his hand just yet.

spikechiquet likes this.
  3. SnarkShark

Well, he runs in the Haskell today... Anybody care?

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Haskell is totally SI-cover worthy.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I happen to be in Monmouth Co. this week and the buzz here is huge. Being right here though it is hard to tell if interest extends outside the area.

The crowds for his one-lap warmup at 7 am the past two days have been bigger than a typical Monmouth Park raceday and they are expecting at least 60K today.

6. SnarkShark

Welp, he won easy. Ran the final eighth geared down.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Yeah, he should of at least picked it up to break the track record.

Damn horses...doing their horse things however they want.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I wonder how many mares he's tending to, these days.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That's got to be the ultimate life. Be among the best in your job, and spend the rest of your life relaxing and hooking up.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I know two things about horse racing ... jack and shit ... but I'd assume they're keeping him off the mares for fear of injuries. If that's the case, I'd assume he's getting mechanical blow jobs at least three times a day.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Coming in 2018: Full brothers of American Pharoah and California Chrome going head to head at the Kentucky Derby.

Will the general public get excited about horse racing again at any point between now and then?

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I know a guy whose mother owns a thoroughbred farm in Kentucky. His stories about the process of breeding horses are hilarious. For instance, the high dollar horse at stud is too valuable to risk injury when they are trying to get a mare aroused and ready to breed. There is a stand-in who does the foreplay and gets her ready, because sometimes the mares will kick and bite, fight it, and they don't want the stud hurt. So the stand in warms her up and then they drag him out of there and put the high dollar stud in to do the deed.

There is also a stablehand whose job it is to help insert the stud's penis into the mare so things proceed quickly and easily. And no, I'm not kidding.

You don't want to know about collecting semen for artificial insemination.

Draft saved Draft deleted