1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cincinnati, you're on the clock

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by three_bags_full, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, the Cincinnati police could patrol that as well. Seems like you would want more "seasoned" cops to deal with neighborhoods that aren't "safe."

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

USC (tuition $48,000) and Berkeley too.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Who claimed it did?

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Was curious about the context of these numbers.
    On campus, African Americans make up 8.3% of the population.
    According to the article, that number increases to about 66% in the area off campus where DuBose was killed.
    So, anyway, there's some of the context. Draw any conclusions that you like. I'm not seeing any firm conclusions other than that the numbers probably indicate UCPD is issuing a lot of citations off campus.

Another newsworthy tidbit from the article:
    After Dubose’s death, UC suspended off-campus patrols pending the outcome of its review [of the department].

6. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

People who send their kids to Yale? New Haven is supposed to be one of the 25 most dangerous cities in America.

Back in the day (i.e. the late eighties,) a lot of my friends in and around New York went to schools in bad areas. I remember visiting Fordham in the Bronx. Nobody went out to the bars at night unless they were with at least nine or ten other people.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

usc.png

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Not mentioned here yet, but...

... of the 12 jurors and four alternates, all but two are white. Fourteen whites, two black women, no Asians, no Hispanics, no other anything. well, THAT'S a pretty representative jury! [eyeroll]

10. Killick

Also, as for the safe/not safe thing: As a University of Cincinnati alum, I'd point out that on my first night as a freshman resident ON CAMPUS, I was approached and asked if I wanted to buy some coke. (lower case c, there).

"Uh... no."
    "How about some weed?"
    "No."
    "You have any money on you?"
    "Uh... No. (walking away as quickly as I could)"

Dude followed me for 200 yards before I ducked into a restaurant on Calhoun Street' just across from campus. Campus was never vastly safer than just-off campus.

11. Killick

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Are they still excused from their jobs if they do that?

Draft saved Draft deleted