1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tennessean happyspeak

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Aug 5, 2014.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Say what you want about Gannett, but the company seems to do a pretty good job at getting rid of terrible managers after they have done about all the damage they can do.

Alma likes this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Maybe her new gig will be as a Vegas stripper for poker chips?

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The for-public-consumption story is that she has an ailing parent. I'll be circumspect on that basis.
    But there's nothing to suggest that the next newsroom manager there won't be as bad - or worse.

5. Baron Scicluna

As much as I hope that, if true, her mom's OK, what does it say about her that she's quitting the paper that she was demanding everyone pledge that they were "all-in"?

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Kind of weird people are glad to see her go, since she cleared out much of the old staff and gave a lot of those there now their "shot."

7. Baron Scicluna

If I had to hazard a guess, the ones happy she's gone were the remaining surviving members of the old staff, plus anyone new that she managed to piss off through her shallow management style.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That's what I suspect as well, I also know anytime the person who hired you departs it is a good time to start updating the resume. People like to bring in their own people.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I've seen this story more than a few times lately at the executive level.
    I've come to think of it as the handy way to ride off fast with armor intact.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It's also a true thing that you reach a certain age and you start having to deal with aging parents. My wife and two of my most valued staffers are dealing with such right now.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah, I do give them the benefit of the doubt. But I know of at least one case in which it was a cover.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yep, and the best way to deal with aging parents usually doesn't involve quitting your job and thus forgoing a paycheck.

Draft saved Draft deleted