1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports intern // Columbus Dispatch

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Ray Stein195, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Ray Stein195

Ray Stein195 New Member

JUST ANNOUNCED!
    The Columbus Dispatch is seeking a Sports department intern for the fall of 2015. This is a paid internship, an exclusively reporting position lasting up to 12 weeks. We are looking for an enterprising and versatile reporter who can deliver the goods online and in print on subjects including Ohio State and other college football; NFL teams to the north and south; NHL hockey and MLS soccer; college basketball; high school sports; and/or anything else that moves in the sports world of Ohio’s largest and most vibrant city.
    This position almost certainly will require event coverage on tight deadlines, so some daily-paper experience is a must. Social-media skills are assumed, and we would prefer to land someone with some video skills to enhance the final product.
    Our timing in this quest is not ideal, of course, given that classes are just beginning at campuses all over the land. But we would welcome recent graduates or anyone with the flexibility to gain some valuable experience with a talented group of achievers.
    If this sounds like something that would interest you, email your resume and two or three examples of excellent sports journalism (no columns, please) to Dispatch sports editor Ray Stein at rstein@dispatch.com. Act now!

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I wish a regular position would open up here! Dammit, I could work for... oh, wrong Ohio paper. ;)

On a serious note, the Dispatch sports section does a fantastic job. Gets my seal of approval.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Isn't this a weird time to be hiring an intern?

4. Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson New Member

Anyone know of any medium/large-sized newspapers offering something similar for recent grads?

PM me, please.

5. wfl

wfl New Member

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Not if you've had a staff position frozen and need cheap labor.

Not that that's what's happened in Columbus. But it sounds like something GateHouse would pull.

Liut likes this.
  7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Any slackers who needed a summer class to graduate are in luck.

8. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Any chance this turns into a full-time position?

9. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Perfect timing for those recent grads who haven't landed something full-time yet. Sounds like a nice opportunity to accumulate clips covering some high profile sports.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I had no idea Columbus has twice the population of Cleveland.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

And also good timing for football season. Sounds like a pretty good gig.

12. Anonymous135

Anonymous135 Member

Is this a full-time position?

Draft saved Draft deleted