1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does anyone believe Ashley Madison?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 14, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm trying to help you.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

You could collect all the Thanksgiving Day threads, string some connecting paragraphs together and it would be damn fine book.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

No, you didn't.

4. Dick Whitman

Do you want to cry next?

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I believe you believe you said it. But you didn't.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

TSP, he didn't specifically say there are no women at all, but look at the first post. He was saying that Ashley Madison doesn't have nearly as many women as it claims to have.

7. Dick Whitman

The 31,000,000 men to 12,000 women figure that is estimated is astounding. Women don't even have to pay.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

They test-marketed an ad slogan: "It's a sausage fest in here."

Didn't seem to get the results they wanted.

studthug12, bigpern23 and doctorquant like this.
  9. Dick Whitman

It's incredibly fascinating to me, the numbers spread. It has to be evolutionary - uh, sorry, Tony, I mean biological - on some level, right? Women like sex. Allegedly. They have boyfriends and then husbands. Are they simply more satisfied with one partner than men are? Do they peak earlier, and then lose interest? Are they afraid of the kind of men that they might meet on Ashley Madison? What gives?

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's easy for women to find sex partners.

And, anonymous sex with the creepy people that populate site like Ashley Madison doesn't turn them on.

11. Dick Whitman

I know, I know, I know. I know all that is true.

I'm curious about why it's true. How it came to be.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, but that's different than not being interested in sex.

Women cheat. Maybe at lower rates than men, but they do cheat.

When men cheat, they are either driven by looks, a certain "sexuality" in their partner, or just the fact that it's someone different. So, a site like Ashley Madison is fine for them.

Personality is a much bigger factor for women. They want to know the guy at least a little. He has to make them laugh, or make them feels special, or seem like he's interested in them. So, a hookup site doesn't work as well for them.

Now, if you believe the stories about Tinder, it is different for younger women. A good looking guy can find plenty of women who will be willing to hook up bases strictly on looks. I would guess their are still more men interested in hookups even among younger people, but it would not be nearly as large a gap as we see on Ashley Madison.

Draft saved Draft deleted