1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony Stewart-Kevin Ward incident

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bubbler, Aug 10, 2014.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Yeah. I got that. He didn't see Ward at all, until he saw Ward trying to initiate contact with his car. Totally makes sense and that's very convenient.

This, along with the Patrick Kane bar owner nonsense, is starting to make me wonder if you understand that sources with a vested interest will almost always provide a side of a story that suits them.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Did you read murphyc's link one page back?

"11. His third mistake was that he walked into the line of traffic that
    was just slowing down from 110 mph racing. He couldn’t get Tony’s attention
    without getting inside of the wing’s obstruction of view. You have to get
    nearly in front of the car when you’re that close to be seen and to see the
    driver.

12. The wing side panel on the right side of the car obscures vision to
    the left as well as the headrest, the head and neck restraint that restricts
    the helmet from turning much, plus the hood and side arm guard further restrict
    the view. Vision to the right is very limited because of the low wing side
    panel and the protections for the driver. There remains a narrow slot of
    vision below the wing and above the arm guard, just sufficient for racing
    and the line of sight there is chest level and toward the track surface. It is
    mostly peripheral vision for that area.

13. It is unlikely that when the caution came out, during the remainder
    of the fast 23 second lap, that Tony had any idea that the caution was for a
    car that he had passed the lap before. Once you pass a car it’s out of mind
    and on to the next. It is doubtful that he could even have identified the
    spun car. He saw the tail of the car when he passed a lap ago
    and now it was now turned around and off track.

14. When the line of cars came by, Kevin was already in the way of the
    car that was in front of Tony, and that car appears to dodge left away from him.
    That car would have screened Kevin from Tony’s view and Tony would have had
    only a couple of seconds to see Kevin in a black uniform against a
    background of darkness, before his own wing obscured view of him. Kevin
    would have to be close to the line of travel to be able to see Tony around
    the wing side panel and gesture his frustration so that Tony could see it.

15. Kevin was on the shadow side of Tony’s car looking back toward the track
    lighting on the inside. The right side of the line of cars that passed Kevin were in
    full, backlit shadow. Kevin still had his helmet on and visor down so his vision was somewhat
    restricted. You don't need a lot of vertical vision when you are racing but it can be
    aukward when you are walking because there is no downward periferal view...
    you can't see your feet or even several feet in front of them.
    Dust from the track gets on the inside and outside of the visor
    and fogs the view a bit at this point in the race. That along with the tearoffs creates a glare
    when you are looking toward the lights like looking toward the sunset through a dirty window.
    Kevin was shifting around to position himself, while on a banked surface.
    There is not a lot of banking there, but moving around on the slant can throw off your balance a bit.
    The poor visibility of the black tires on the right side, in the
    backlit shadow of the car and wearing a helmet with the visor down, looking toward the lights,
    and moving around on a slanted surface, would all contribute to Kevin’s misjudgement,
    along with the pot, adrenaline and single minded anger of the moment."

murphyc, Dick Whitman and YankeeFan like this.
  3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Except in this case all objectively sourced evidence also supports that side. There simply is no valid basis for assigning blame to Stewart here. It was Ward's own overzealous incompetent driving that caused his wreck, and it was Ward's own utterly insane behavior afterward that caused his death. And Ward racing while stoned sure didn't help either. This is all on Ward. That's not just one side's version of the story, instead it's what the available evidence overwhelmingly shows.

That said, I expect Stewart will likely end up paying off the family anyways just to make this nightmare finally go away for good.

murphyc likes this.
  4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

With all the evidence out there, especially the drugs, I don't disagree with anything you said.

I just don't buy Dick's idea that Ward tried to ride Stewart's car like it was a horse.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I think Ward was pissed off and tried to do the NASCAR thing where they get close to the offender, cuss him and throw water bottles and the like. He misjudged and got his fool self run over, pretty much that simple.

murphyc likes this.
  6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He climbed onto the car and hung from its wing. You can see it on the video.

YankeeFan likes this.
  7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Will the second video ever get released? It should prove conclusively Dick's wing nut theory.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, we don't want to get into this again, but from the fuzzy video I saw, you can tell no such thing. More likely he was sucked toward the car or thrown by a tire going 120 mph.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sucked toward the car?

SnarkShark likes this.
  10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Possibly. I don't know the aerodynamics of a sprint car, but vehicles going that fast create a lot of air flow.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You can see his arm hanging. You can see him let go. You can see his body then roll down the track.

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Not doing this again. I don't agree with what you are seeing. I saw no such thing.

SnarkShark likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted