1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Pharoah seeking Triple Crown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, May 16, 2015.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Indeed, as much as the TC might give the sport a little boost, a devastating injury to AP could very well ruin the sport. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has fallen love with his spirit and curiosity. I can just tell he's a special one from the minimal off-track clips I have seen. And that performance Sunday was very impressive.

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

3. SnarkShark

Time to kinda care about horse racing again! American Pharoah runs in the Travers today at Saratoga.

Big opportunity for the sport to get eyeballs on a non-football Saturday. NBC is broadcasting for two hours.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What is post time?

5. bbnews60

bbnews60 Member

5:46 p.m.

6. Dick Whitman

Thanks.

7. Dick Whitman

Well, shit.

8. SnarkShark

Saratoga claims another victim. Zayat is already talking about retirement.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Gotta be his last run. No reason to risk it anymore. Disappointing for it to end like that. Thought he was running away with it again.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If AP were to race in the Breeders' Cup, that likely would mean facing older horses, and that's not good. Beholder is probably the best horse in the country; I'm not sure AP would be a favorite if they were to meet in the BC Classic. Might as well call it quits now and get ready for all those mares.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The arguments against this horse running any more are valid ones, but I can't help thinking that a sport whose most famous athlete in decades is thus too valuable to appear in competition has a problematic future appealing to a mass audience.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He'd be the stupidest man in the world to race him again and risk his fortune. You are begging for catastrophe.

And @Michael_ Gee, I'm not sure the "mass audience" would care much. They got to watch a Triple Crown winner. They're happy with that.

Draft saved Draft deleted