1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The New York Daily News cover on Va. shootings

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Whether or not the New York cover was proper or not (it wasn't), the editors made sure the gunman won this battle. He wanted extreme publicity for his act and he got it. Whatever happened to proper decency, in this case fellow human beings saying, "Fuck you gunman. You aren't winning in New York? We're not running your picture or any pictures of your COWARDLY act.'"

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

To the extent you do so to prevent copycat acts, I agree. Otherwise, who cares? He's not some child we're trying to teach a lesson to. Newspapers have a duty to their readers. They can't let some made-up pissing match with a loony toon gunman trump that. Who cares what he does or doesn't want? We're above that.

amraeder likes this.
  3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Newspapers have a "duty" to readers? I'd start by not ripping them off with the embarassingly small editions/awful coverage of 2015 compared to 20 years ago. But I digress ...
    We're still doing our duty if we don't run the asshole gunman's picture and don't run his life story. Tell the story of the murders, but you don't need to do it in a totally exploitative way. That cover was done to shock and a desperate attempt to sell copies. How bout selling some ads instead and put out a responsible cover. Thank u.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Who gives a shit what he wants? He's dead. And this crazy son of a bitch was going to commit this act no matter what, it would seem.

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what experts say what, was just pointing out some statistics. Some other statistics are that in NJ and NY magazines are limited to 15 rounds or less. In NJ it is almost impossible for anyone other than law enforcement officers to get a permit to carry. Don't have the stats and the media also never mentions it, but would bet that a large majority of the crimes committed with guns in NJ are with unregistered guns.

6. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

So, where do you stand on newspapers putting photos of two planes crashing into the world trade center? That was the front page of every paper on Sept. 12, 2001. Frankly, I don't see a difference.

I think most of us agree that plastering the photos on the front page may have been in bad taste. But there's not a paper worth a lick that would alter its agenda for the sake of spite.

BTExpress and Dick Whitman like this.
  7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

There's also a theory (put forth by the Freakanomics guys) that the legalization of abortion in 1973 led to fewer unwanted children, who would have become late-teenage, potential violent criminals by the late 80s & early 90s.

Draft saved Draft deleted