1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalists shot, killed in Virginia during live shot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Aug 26, 2015.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Don't understand or like this part. Otherwise, very well done. Vombatus in 2016!

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There's nuance, and there's mind-reading.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But what happens when Skynet takes over the HDAs?

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

A starting point would be figuring who has what.

The next step would be only allowing a gun sale or transaction to be allowed by using a certified salesman, who would then process the sale of the weapon into the database. Uncle Joe wants to give Joey his .22, then he would need to go down to Bass Pro Shop, for example, and pay the $5 fee. Of course, Uncle Joe and Joey both need to have a license, like a drivers license, which would be renewed every five years or so.

If Joey goes and slaps his wife around, tears up his newsroom, assaults someone, etc..., then the police can look up how many guns he has, and tell him to turn them so he won't hurt anyone with them.

If Sally has guns she is not supposed to have, a minimum $10,000 fine per weapon.

That to me is a start. And please note this is not limiting anyone's guns or taking anything away unless the person has broken a law.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I don't understand why this would be objectionable to anyone. Other than the private gun show sellers. Let them sell it through a licensed outlet.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

VB: No mention of gold or vegan food? Fail ;)

old_tony and Vombatus like this.
  7. TeamBud

TeamBud Member

What about trying to change the gun culture? What if guns totally disappeared from movies and TV? I don't know if Hollywood would do this willingly or if laws could be passed banning guns and gun references from the screen, but it seems like a lot of social changes have come after what we watch had already gotten us used to the ideas. Gay characters, interracial relationships, reduction of cigarette use are some examples. I don't know if Hollywood helped bring about the social change or just reflected it, though.

I imagine the movies and shows will suck for a while and it would take some time to see the effects. But that meme that calls anti-gun actors hypocrites for blasting away in movies has a point. If we stop glorifying gun use, maybe there will be some effect. Anyone know if there's a study that compares movie/tv gun references per country to the amount of gun violence?

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

And let's burn all books that have gun references.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  9. TeamBud

TeamBud Member

That's why I think they'd have to do it willingly. It can't look like censorship. I'd just be curious to see if it would have an effect.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

So no censorship, just collusion among the movie studios. That sounds like an excellent plan.

11. TeamBud

TeamBud Member

Were you upset when they took cigarettes away from most of their characters?

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

No, it's my contention that both shootings were motivated by racism, but Obama couldn't find the stones to blame the racist in this week's shooting.

Draft saved Draft deleted