1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Vegetarians and Vegans Think They Are Better Than Everyone Else?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I ate a 12-inch veggie patty at Subway today. So I am either obviously better than all you jerks or pathetic beyond redemption.

You be the judge!

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

This is one of the few places in which both statements could be equally true.

Ace likes this.
  3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Do you ever rush through a job because you need to get comments in about some shooting?[​IMG]

Riptide likes this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

On the other hand, espresso > pop, I mean soda.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Not a vegetarian BBQ

TowelWaver likes this.
  6. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Are vegan marathoners conflicted in whether they first mention they run marathons or are vegans when you meet them?

JackReacher likes this.
  7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

No, because it goes like this, "as a vegan marathoner do you have any idea how hard it is to carb load? Thankfully, the meditation techniques I learned in yoga and have applied in my crossfit routine have really helped. Maybe you heard my piece about it on NPR?"

Batman likes this.
  8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The Onion sums it up here.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hypocritical vegetarians, always acting like they're better than you.

Fuck serving them shrimp, just get 'em drunk, and give 'em a burger:

On any given day, how much meat does the average vegetarian eat? Since vegetarians, by definition, don’t eat meat, this question should be boring because of course the answer is zero. This question isn’t boring at all, though, because it has a very specific, very not-zero answer—83.2 grams, about one standard serving.

With this in mind, it’s not so surprising that a recent survey shows that one third of vegetarians eat meat while they’re drunk.

This first figure—seriously, the average vegetarian in the U.S. eats one serving of meat per day!—comes from a 2003 analysis of data collected by the U.S. Department of Agriculture in the late 90’s. The researchers examined responses from a representative sample of nearly 10,000 Americans who had detailed everything they ate over two separate and nonconsecutive 24-hour periods. And vegetarians, it turns out, eat meat. About 40 percent of what the typical American reported—220 grams or so—but meat all the same.

This doesn’t necessarily mean that every vegetarian eats meat, since this figure is only an average, but most vegetarians in the U.S. do. Another survey from the USDA, also conducted by phone, put the number of vegetarians who’ve eaten meat in the last day at about two-thirds.

Why Drunk Vegetarians Eat Meat

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Maybe respondents misunderstood the question and what was meant by "eating meat".

???

11. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted