1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teacher keeps $90K job after being late 111 times

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 29, 2015.

1. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

You know, honestly, I'd be a lot more interested in this story if it involved a thirtyish but still attractive Spanish teacher. And it wasn't her who was constantly late but the junior fullback in her seventh period class. And, lo, one hot May afternoon, when she made him stay after school, to punish him for being oh so bad, and...

Well, that's just me...

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Pic or GTFO!

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It should be emphasized that the 1 to 2 minutes figure is the one put forth by this guy. Like o_t, I doubt we're having this conversation over a pattern of 1 to 2 minutes.

I will say the old newspaper reporter in me makes it very, very hard for me to be consistently late to anything. And people who are consistently late, even if it's just a minute or two, bug the shit out of me. I have a colleague who NEVER arrives at a meeting on time. Fortunately, we don't have many meetings. But those we do that involve him are almost certain to be interrupted by him coming in several minutes after the start. Oh, and it's also a drop-dead certainty he's going to get a text or a phone call during the meeting.

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm generally the Oscar Madison type but am super-anal (Beavis-like laugh, "he said ... anal!") about promptness and punctuality. Was never tardy in 6 years of middle or high school and unless I was covering multiple games in a day or evening, I always arrived to my assignments well ahead of time, sometimes an hour early even if it meant watching chunks of a freshman or JV game. If I went on the road to cover a local team I'd get to that town hours ahead of time so I could check out life there, support that local economy at a coffee shop or bookstore or whatever. /patting myself on the back

Although now that I think about it, I was super-late to the start of a soccer game between local teams (one elite, the other a little train that could but rarely did) and missed a collision that sent the keeper to the hospital with a ruptured spleen or appendix. I reported it after talking to both coaches -- both honest, good guys -- but parents from the elite team thought I was unfair. Another time a news-side guy and I were late to The Pit in Albuquerque for a 9 a.m. girls hoops semifinal (9 fucking a.m.) because one of his tires went flat an hour north of Roswell. We got there by the end of the 1st quarter.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That's precisely my point.

If the people in charge of disciplining me for it repeatedly do nothing, why would I think it's worthy of discipline? It's on all parties involved.

Even still, I have six clocks in my own house that aren't within two minutes of each other. If we're going to nitpick to the minute, then I'm going to nitpick about the accuracy of every clock I see.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And that guy isn't respecting everybody else's time. That is how I feel about the teacher constantly showing up later than the time required by his school.

That said, if the administration really did go from ignoring it to firing him without proper steps in between, they are out of line as well.

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

If I'm here and you're here, doesn't that make it our time?

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

1) He's getting docked half a year's pay, approximately $45,000, so it's not like he's getting off scot-free.

2) Certainly the administration should have given the guy written warnings prior to dismissal. Presumably the teacher contract spelled out some kind of disciplinary process: verbal warning, then written warning, then suspension, then termination.

3) The excuse of "I was eating breakfast" goes straight to the shitter. Eat a donut on the way in.

4) The excuse of "my clock at home was slow" is bullshit too. Pretty much all computers, cell phones, etc etc., now run on Internet time. Be at school by 08:00:00.00 AM or else.

5) Presumably when he returns to duty, he is on a 2-strike count.

9. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Pay me $90K a year and I'll be to work a minute or two early each day.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Go out and make yourself worth 90k a year.

LongTimeListener and YankeeFan like this.
  11. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I don't buy this breakfast story. I think it was morning wood.

Draft saved Draft deleted