1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2015 golf thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

So if Day pars the last two holes, he'll have played his last eight rounds in 38-under par, for an average score of 66.25 a round. No offense Small Town Guy, but putting Tiger among the world's three best would be wrong even if he was playing decently.

2. Michael_ Gee

Make it 39 under and an average of 66.125.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

And so Rory McIlroy is the best player in the world come Monday? Yeah, sure. This is why computing the world ranking over a two-year period is simply wrong.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

People care about the rankings?

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

That putt on 16 was a beaut. Walking away as it turns toward the hole.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I think it's a two-year rolling average because of Ryder Cup/President's Cup. Rory has been out of sight, out of mind since July 4, but he DID win the last two majors last year. Great performance by Day, but you can't suddenly say he's the best player in the world *overall* based on his last two tournaments. It's body of work.

7. Michael_ Gee

If Day keeps winning in the playoffs (and it's had other hot hand multiple winners, such as Horschel last year) with McIlroy and Spieth both competing, it's possible he could end the season at number one. Spieth looked like he might have hit a most understandable wall this weekend.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Maybe, but it was only two rounds. We'll see.

9. qtlaw24

qtlaw24 Active Member

I get the sense that Spieth was caught between thinking he could skip the Barclays and still win but then feeling an obligation to sponsors and Tour to play.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I thought I saw that Day could actually become No. 1 this week. He'd have to win, Spieth and Rory would have to finish...somewhere. Lot of math. For what that's worth.

Some folks on Twitter (eh), wondered if Day could potentially win Player of the Year. I don't see that, even if he wins 1 or 2 more events (3?). I think Spieth's two majors, his British showing and PGA runner-up, plus four wins overall, would still trump Day's year.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

When Day putts this well, he's pretty unstoppable.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted