1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalists shot, killed in Virginia during live shot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Fetuses' bodies are also incapable of sustaining life of its own, and their brains don't have the capacity to sustain life. Just like brain-dead people. Sunshine sloganeered with "An abortion stops a beating heart." So does pulling the plug from a brain-dead person whose heart is still beating. Hence, by his logic, people who pull the plug from a brain-dead person with a heart still beating are abortionists.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Doesn't it matter that the fetus is on the way TOWARD sustaining life while brain dead person is PAST that point? The comparison is apt until you widen the lense.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You have a short memory.

"He's making his son's death all about him!!!!!"

"He's using his son to FURTHER HIS AGENDA!!!!"

"REAL grieving parents wouldn't act this way!"

And, the old stand-by:

"Now is not the time!"

His dead son didn't trump anyone's constitutional rights. Why would this dead woman?

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Draw them out in public to show exactly what they are.

5. Baron Scicluna

Why should it matter what direction it is? Murder is murder, isn't it? At least, that's what I keep hearing.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

You seem to be confused over artificially sustaining the life of a brain-dead person and artificially ending the life of a person who is not brain dead. Pretty sure that puts you in the "moron" category of IQs.

7. Baron Scicluna

But the fetuses' brains are not developed. Should there be a certain level of brain activity that disqualifies someone from having an abortion and/or pulling the plug? At what level should that be?

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The right's rhetoric on the issue is not airtight, for sure.

9. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Baron, I ask you this with all sincerity: Do you recognize the clear difference between aborting the normal, gestational period of a human being in the womb and removing artificial life support for a body that is already, for all intents and purposes, dead?

You seem to like to talk a lot about "nuance." But based on your comments, I don't think you're getting it.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  10. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

No question, both sides of the political aisle have enough hypocrisy on "sanctity of life" issues to float a large ship.

It's partly why I brought it up in this thread: I believe all life is sacred and should be honored.

Barring defense of self or others, nobody has the right to take someone else's life.

Unfortunately, the cat is way out of the bag on that one. Good luck getting it back in.

11. Baron Scicluna

What I'm using is the logic that the pro-life side uses. One of pro-lifers' talking points is that all "life is precious". I was using Sunshine's line of "abortion stops a living heartbeat." By their logic, that means that as long as a heart is beating, regardless of the circumstances, the heartbeat should not be stopped. In other words, by my bringing up brain-dead people, I was using nuance to the pro-lifers' slogans.

They even proved that philosophy with the Terri Schiavo case, although she did have more brain activity than a brain-dead person. Which is why I had asked if there should be a baseline level of brain-like activity in which both abortion and pulling the plug should be considered OK.

By their logic, there should be no difference. Just like to them, there is no difference than a quarter-inch long zygote and a fully-born baby. Even though, I would hope, you and I know that there is a difference. A very big one.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I so, so do not want to wade into an abortion debate, but I have always been genuinely curious how those on the right square their beliefs on abortion with their absolute hatred of government handouts. Certainly, people who can't afford to raise a child should take preventive measures to assure they don't have them, but that is clearly not happening. So if a woman in poverty becomes pregnant, what's the best course of action? Adoption? Aborting the fetus before it becomes a viable life form? Other thoughts?

Draft saved Draft deleted