1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter - Las Vegas, NV

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - GA Sports Reporter

Date Posted August 28, 2015
    Location Las Vegas, Nevada
    Position Reporter
    Job Status Full-time
    Salary Negotiable
    Website http://reviewjournal.com

Description:
    The Las Vegas Review-Journal is looking for a general assignment sports reporter. Job responsibilities will include but not be limited to:

• Handle online coverage and social media for major local events in Las Vegas, including UNLV football, UNLV basketball, mixed martial arts, boxing and preps.

• Work on the sports desk twice a week as a wire editor.

Applicant should have at least three years’ experience, a working knowledge of all sports and familiarity with The Associated Press stylebook.

Send a resume, cover letter and writing samples to assistant sports editor Allen Leiker at aleiker@reviewjournal.com, with “SPORTS REPORTER” in the subject line.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

3. Anonymous135

Anonymous135 Member

Wonder how much you're being paid to relocate to Las Vegas.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

New sports editor named this week: Bill Bradley, formerly with the Sacramento Bee, starts Sept. 23.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Relocation expenses determined by playing the quarter slot machines. (Oh... you're supplying the quarters.)

Actually, this is a decent paper and its sports section isn't too bad. Time will tell how GateHouse ownership treats it.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Buddy of mine got a job at the R-J in 2007 and they paid him like $3,800 to move from Alabama. But that was almost a decade (and 3-4 rounds of layoffs) ago.

7. Bill_Bradley

Bill_Bradley Member

I can confirm what MileHigh said: I am returning to sports department management in three weeks. It's been fun working for the NFL for the past three years, but now I'm looking forward to working with a very solid staff and recruiting what I believe will be an important new hire. As the ad says, please apply to Allen Leiker for now, but I will be seeing candidates' materials before I start. I don't have many details beyond that, but I do promise to email back every one who applies. (Lack of common courtesy is one of my pet peeves in this business).

8. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Good for you man and good luck with the new gig. I was a Gatehouse casualty in Daytona but loved every minute of my time there. Have nothing but good things to say about DBNJ. And I'm glad to see someone hates not getting a response back. Hope for your sake Gatehouse doesn't gut you guys.

donjulio15 likes this.
  9. Long Snapper

Long Snapper New Member

The thing that's good about a job like this is even if you don't make a ton of money, you can get rich by gambling in Vegas. Not like the city was built on losing money or anything like that

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If you're a smart gambler, you can at least score some free eats and the occasional free hotel night. Not bad if the money is low and/or your apartment isn't the greatest.

11. KoreyBnfl

KoreyBnfl New Member

I'm glad to hear that! I'm a Las Vegas local now and I appreciated that I received a response from the paper when I was living in Illinois, so now I'm trying it again. I look forward to hearing from you.

12. Bill_Bradley

Bill_Bradley Member

Hi all,
    I start tomorrow, but I am spending today going through the resumes. Everyone will get a reply as I tried to get down to finalists very soon. This hire will be a higher priority.
    And thanks to all for applying.
    Bill.

Draft saved Draft deleted