1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deflategate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cranberry, Jan 19, 2015.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You have zero proof of a cover up.

Gator likes this.
  2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not even sure there's a) sufficient evidence that balls were deflated or b) that Brady was directly involved, no less evidence of a cover-up. Its farcical nature is what makes this story so great.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That isn't true. He destroyed his cell phone and lied to investigators. You may argue that there is insufficient evidence, but not that there is no evidence. Unless you are simply trolling rather than trying to make a legitimate point.

doctorquant likes this.
  4. outofplace

Is there really any question that the balls were tampered with? I'm not so sure about that.

Is there enough evidence of Brady's involvement? That is certainly questionable. But there is no question that he did not fully cooperate with the investigation. He destroyed his phone and he claimed he did not know the people involved. The whole thing is a joke, but Goodell is far from the only one to make a mess of this thing. The real question is if Goodell properly followed league policy, especially regarding the appeal, and I don't know that the union and Brady have proven otherwise. Is it ridiculous that Goodell was the one to hear the appeal? Without question, but it wasn't against the rules.

What people need to realize is that it is fair to both expect the Patriots to face discipline and question Goodell and the league office. Both sides are wrong here, not just one.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

And if Nixon had just torched all those tapes in the Rose Garden, he might have been able to serve his full second term. Would have been hell to pay, but he might not have had to be impeached or serve a four day suspension.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

A positive piss test is not enough proof for OOP but not handing over your phone is.

I have little doubt that he probably involved in deflating the balls but you should never, ever give up your private phone to your employer. Especially the NFL. So no, there is no proof of a cover up.

I think you need to catch up on what has recently come out.

schiezainc likes this.
  7. outofplace

This is what the players sign on for when they decide to work for the league. It is what they collectively bargained for. He can certainly refuse to give up his phone, but the league has the right to hold that against him. Not in a court of law, but by league rules. Do I agree with it? Not at all. But the union agreed to it.

Regarding your first post, you are better than that, JC. You are bright enough to actually understand my point, which is why it is so disappointing when you troll yet another thread this way.

But hey, if you want to debate the Ryan Braun thing AGAIN on another unrelated thread, by all means.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

While there is only circumstantial evidence in this case, which normally wouldn't be enough for a conviction, I do think Berman is going to rule in favor of the NFL, citing Article 46 in the CBA. That, and only that, will be the basis of this ruling. And deep down, he'll hate himself in the morning for siding with the NFL. But this is what the players signed up for.

When all is said and done, this seven-month fiasco will be about (potentially) deflated footballs. I also can't wait to see the next time a team is caught committing an equipment violation. And when Brady is through with his four-game suspension, the Patriots will show no mercy on opponents, especially the Colts, who host New England in Brady's first game back. The regular season will be 2007 2.0.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's not that easy to take vengeance in the NFL. The 2007 was the greatest offense of all time. The 2015 team looks to be damn good, but that's as far as I'd go.

10. outofplace

If Brady plays, they will score over 50 points in the opener against the Steelers. Hell, they might light up that defense without him.

11. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Agreed. I simply mean, don't be surprised to see New England throw a 55-yard touchdown pass on fourth down leading by 30 points with 10 seconds left in the game. Especially if it's against the Colts.

schiezainc likes this.
  12. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

He lied to investigators? Please show your work. I'll take a page and/or passage from the Wells' Report as proof. Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted