1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NY Post Jared cover

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

"Weiner/wiener" needs to be on the copy editor exam.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The NY Post covers are as tastless as Subway.

I Should Coco likes this.
  3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Always take credit for your subconscious, Rags.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yeah, rule No. 1 is if people think you're smart or talented because of something you did accidentally, don't argue with them.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Chipotle sauce can't save either one.

Ace likes this.
  6. Moonlite Gram

Moonlite Gram New Member

He's actually gonna be in iso probably since he is a "celebrity" and it's a liability to the place he goes if he gets hurt.

If he isn't then it depends where he goes some jails will beat the F out of him in population, others won't or would be too eyed by cameras to do anything. If he goes to a prison it depends on the level.

He will probably do some time at all but who knows if he will get what he deserves because 5 years isn't enough IMO.

7. Do you have other examples of the Post or any other publication celebrating/calling for rape?

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Of course, I don't have other examples of papers doing headlines like that, just as I don't have an example of anyone having handled the Bin Laden capture like this, for what it is worth:

[​IMG] '

What could possibly be the purpose of asking me to compare something the NY Post put in a large headline on its front page to something any other newspaper (with the exception maybe of the Trenton paper back in the day or the NY Daily News when it is struggling to make payroll) has ever done?

I get it. It was a pun that played with prison rape. And you still really need to take a deep breath if your take away from that was the NY Post "celebrating/calling for rape." It's the New York Post. They saw low-hanging fruit with the Subway footlong thing, and they went for a cheap pun. In my opinion, if they should be criticized for anything, it's that it was too easy -- and therefore, not their most clever attempt.

Vombatus and Captain_Kirk like this.
  9. Damn. That is gold. The type of journalism I want the future inhabitants of earth to uncover thousands of years from now.

Vombatus likes this.
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Get off the cross. It's the New York Post. No one has "approved" of it. It's expected from them.

11. I should not have said "or other publications," because that led you to focus too much on that part.
    How about just the Post? Has the Post ever made a rape joke in a cover headline before?
    The reason I ask is comparing a rape joke to masturbation jokes is not apt.

The bottom line is it's easy to roll one's eyes at someone being upset by a "dick joke" or even a "jerk-off joke" in a Post headline. It's my humble opinion it's quite another thing to be a little dismayed by a rape joke. Hard to fault anyone for that, I think, no matter who published it. Yes, even the Post.
    To be clear, I'm not losing sleep over this or demanding the Post issue an apology. But I think it's perfectly OK for people to be a little turned off by the headline, even more so than the Post's usual shenanigans.

12. The NY Daily News cover after the broadcaster shooting was far more offensive than this, IMO.

Draft saved Draft deleted