1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things that bug sports journalists

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ace, Aug 25, 2015.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Never been locked in a stadium before, but did have a cop stop at a high school football stadium and ask what the hell I was doing in the press box with the stadium lights out and no one else around. I was finishing up a track story and emailing my story in when I saw his flashlight shining in my direction. Guy was nice enough once he figured out why I was still there, but that's the closest I've come to being arrested before.

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Talking about anything other than sports.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

There is very little on a local TV newscast anymore that isn't hackneyed cliche, from the live shot of reporter standing outside a place where something happened hours ago (but there is absolutely no sign of it now) to the "fat story" b-roll of overweight people (shot from the neck down) walking around town.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Spot on. We have one station here that calls it "Friday Football Frenzy!!!!!!" You can guess how awful it is.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I find this especially annoying with regard to sports-talk radio.
    I listen to KNBR out of SF every day, and they play this all the time.
    Show hosts claim to have known things after some big news happens, but they apparently fail to talk about it before the event takes place.
    I don't consider sports-talk hosts to be hard journalists, but they still should consider the audience as their primary responsibility rather than their sources.
    And listeners never seem to be upset by this.
    Drives me crazy.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Not sports journalists, but all journos: Got a PR today for "a BIG event" on Sept. 18, a cancer benefit. Time and place mentioned. Ticket prices, swag, where people can donate money if they can't make it. Tee shirt sales, cute little candles, etc.

Now, tickets are $100. You think people might want to know what's going on at the venue? Celebrity chef catering? Dancing? Visits from local celebs? Auction/raffle? Blowjobs from nubile cheerleaders? Nothing. Absolutely no description of what the event entails. Oh, and media contact isn't answering her phone or returning calls.

Guess what press release just got shit-canned.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Hey now, don't get me started on things that bug PR folks about journos.

8. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Phone calls/emails from parents claiming we're costing their kid a scholarship ...

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Please start. I'm curious.

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Listening to KNBR I have to make a concerted effort to remember that a) these guys are reading and commenting on news by journos b) they are the official station to three of the six major sports teams in the area and c) some of these guys are actual announcers during those games. Basically, I'm tuning in for analysis, stupid banter and to turn my brain off. That said, Gary Radnich is the masturbatory blowhard who loves to hear himself talk, often allowing guests/callers just to say "hi, Gary" before he starts pontificating for 30 minutes straight. His partner Larry Krueger is the "I am going to pull out the most obscure factoid about anything" guy. I don't care that you know the name of the guy who washed Rollie Fingers' jock when he moved to the Brewers from the Padres in 1981 (I had to look that up, I didn't actually know that).

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

To start, the idea that media relations is all there is too public relations.
    I'm not just sitting at my desk waiting for a reporter to call so I have something to do.

12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Liar. All you do is wait for that phone to ring.

But honestly, it is interesting to hear what the other side thinks. I've always thought there was a huge gap in understanding each other's jobs, except for those of us who have been on both sides.

Draft saved Draft deleted