1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deflategate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cranberry, Jan 19, 2015.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

And as a Patriots fan, anything less than a 35-point win and Brady rubbing his mushroom tip on Andrew Luck's forehead will be a disappointment.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Actually, if there's one team they could beat without Brady, it's Indy. Just a terrible, terrible series of matchups for the Colts.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I already have, so no, I'm not going to go digging through the report to do it again. You've read all these threads. It's not my job to prove things to you every time you claim to forget them.

I will refresh your memory by pointing out one particular lie. Brady claimed he did not know McNally or his role with the team. The Wells report included evidence that he was lying about not knowing McNally.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

So how does that implicate him in this "cover-up" of which you speak? You're going to have to bring more to the table, especially if you're going to call people out on their trolling.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Sorry, you moved the goalposts. There's evidence. You may not accept it, and it might not be sufficient for others ... But there's evidence.

6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I'm aware. I mentioned that in my previous post. Circumstantial evidence, which in most cases isn't enough for a conviction. But Article 46 in the CBA is going to be the only reason why Brady will serve the four games. Not because of any evidence.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The Patriots' history vis-a-vis the rules is an unspoken consideration here, too.

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

True. I'm guessing that's where the $1M fine and draft pick docks came from.

9. outofplace

Do you even understand the definition of trolling? It is bringing up a point you don't even believe for the sake of starting trouble. Or just posting in general with the goal of starting trouble rather than advancing the discussion. Nothing I am doing comes close to that.

Any link to McNally could be considered evidence against Brady. Not enough on its own, but it is evidence. At the very least, lying about that was impeding the investigation, which is part of why the league suspended him.

Destroying the phone also fits that description. He destroyed it right before or right after speaking with Wells. He claimed he always does that with cell phones when he gets a new one, but he did not destroy the previous cell phone that he replaced.

If you want to claim that is impeding the investigation rather than covering something up, that would be a reasonable argument. I understand that words like cover up are loaded.

There is evidence, Gator. There is evidence that Brady at least knew about the balls being deflated and there is far more convincing evidence that he acted to impede the investigation. You can certainly argue that it is weak or flawed evidence, but it is not nothing. I don't think the league has enough to warrant a suspension for deflating the footballs, but it does seem to have enough to suspend him for impeding the investigation.

10. outofplace

Agreed. Also part of why I'm so disappointed by Kraft's actions.

11. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

In full disclosure, I'm a Patriots fan. But I'm guessing you knew that by now. In all honesty, I want this thing to be over. I really, really don't have a clue as to whether Brady did this or not. Neither do you. Neither does Goodell. Hell, after the Mortensen report being debunked, I'm not even 100 percent sure the footballs were purposely deflated.

I would be OK with a one-game suspension and a fine, under the idea that it is for not fully cooperating with the investigation. But the NFL is stuck on this admission of guilt. Their reported offer of dropping it down to three games and admitting guilt is a farce. No wonder Brady has his heels dug in. I would fight it too if that was their best offer toward a settlement.

12. outofplace

Brady also refused to accept even a one-game suspension, so it isn't all about an admission of guilt. He wants no admission of guilt, no missed time and a fine which he can easily afford.

I haven't heard of many people who aren't Patriots fans who question if the footballs were purposely deflated, so I do think your fanboy is showing on that point. We do have plenty of clues, but we don't know for certain what role, if any, Brady had in the deflating of the balls. I do think we have enough evidence to say he at least impeded the investigation.

I think a one-game suspension and a fine would have been acceptable and I really don't care about the admission of guilt, but from everything I've read and heard, Brady was not going to accept that.

Draft saved Draft deleted