1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deflategate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cranberry, Jan 19, 2015.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Funny, you're the only non Brewer fan that thought Braun may have been framed.

You can spare of with your revisionist history about what you posted. You continually left open the chance the sample was tainted or he could have been framed. The chances of either of those are less than 9-11 being an inside job.

Braun got off(rightfully so) on a procedural error, only a Brewer fan or a truther could have thought otherwise. There's an actual positive drug test here, far more than they have on Brady.

There was far more evidence that half the steroid users in baseball you've defended than there is on Brady. Like I said, I have little doubt he knew, but you are stuck on the Wells report and not what's come out after.

Your selective moralism when proof is involved is tiresome.

schiezainc likes this.
  2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

So wait a minute. What happened exactly? Brady had people take air out of the footballs? Why?

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What other steroid users have I defended? Please show your work, including evidence against them.

Braun's initial suspension was thrown out for a reason. Policy was not followed and that policy is in place to protect against tainted samples. I was making a point that people are far too casual in tossing around accusations of PED use here and elsewhere. There is nothing revisionist about it. I stated as much from the very beginning. I never once said Braun was innocent. You and I both know certain posters have hunted for such a post and they can't find it because I never wrote such a thing.

What's really funny is you and others who are all over me now, but you ignored the other issue with Braun, that the test results were leaked in violation of baseball's collective bargaining agreement. That is far from the first time it has happened. At the very least, MLB has failed to keep up its obligation to protect information it agreed to keep private, but they get a pass.

Now if you and others want to follow my lead in Deflategate, that's great. I still think a lot of it is just trolling, but if people are thinking about actually backing up what they say, then every bit of bullshit that came with the Braun discussions was worth it.

Brady lied to investigators. If I remember correctly, that came out before the Wells Report. The part about the cell phone came out later. So I'm not caught up on any one thing here. The evidence regarding what he knew about the deflated balls is flimsy at best, but it is clear he did not cooperate with the investigation.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

JC? Simply trolling instead of making a point?

Nah.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I think OOP takes PEDs.

Geritol, maybe?

6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Tom Brady was open to serving one-game suspension - NFL.com

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is new. Please note the report is from yesterday. It also has "believed to be open" to the idea, not that he would definitely accept it, and there is no source quoted at all.

Assuming the report is correct, the NFL should probably have taken it along with an admission that he should have cooperated more fully with the investigation.

8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I agree with you that they should have settled on that. But everything leans toward Brady in this case, and the judge has essentially said so through the proceedings. Ultimately, this is an equipment violation, which comes with a $25,000 fine. Brett Favre, while under a different CBA, didn't fully cooperate with an investigation and received a $50,000 fine.

This whole fiasco is Goodell trying to flex his muscle after bungled episodes in the past. This isn't about "integrity of the game." Far from it. The longer this goes, the sillier the league looks, and players are starting to speak out about how dumb it is.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There is a delicious element of the "biter bit" in this whole thing as Kraft was Goodell's most outspoken supporter during the Ray Rice fuckup, which would've convinced any normal business to can the CEO.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

11. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

I don't know if I agree. The people that hate the Patriots/Brady already think their/his cheating is business-as-usual, and this "scandal" confirms their beliefs. Aside from Indy and Baltimore fans and the room-temperature IQs to whom ESPN panders, I think there's a consensus that the only real evidence of wrongdoing, lying, and covering up in this ordeal implicates the NFL, not Brady. If anything, I think it's made Brady a sympathetic figure to NFL fans of non-rival teams.

My two cents, anyway.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced the majority of NFL fans are quite that enlightened, but I'm a little bit cynical.

Draft saved Draft deleted