1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jimmy Smothers, Gadsden Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

One of the very nicest people I ever met in this business. His assigned seat was next to mine in the Alabama football press box for a few years.

He also worked until the end. His last column was published on Friday.

My favorite Smothers story came from when he was on the Alabama beat in the 1960s.

Smothers broke the story that Bear Bryant had reinstated Joe Namath from suspension prior to the 1964 season. In those days, Bryant would have all the writers over to his house for dinner prior to the season.

After dinner, Bryant and most of the writers retired to the basement to drink, smoke and play cards. Smothers didn't drink or smoke, so he stayed in the parlor having coffee with Mrs. Bryant, who eventually told him Namath had been reinstated.

The next day, Smothers had the scoop.

RIP to a wonderful guy and a newspaper legend.

2. doctorx

doctorx Member

Had the good fortune of meeting him a few times. RIP indeed.

3. spadjo martin

spadjo martin Member

The number of writers who were there to cover Bear Bryant is dwindling. Jimmy, or Smut as we knew him, was a true Southern gentleman. RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted