1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teacher keeps $90K job after being late 111 times

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 29, 2015.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The guy's been late, what, 111 times? And it's gonna cost him something on the order of $45K. That works out to a little over $400 every single time. Damn son ... Hope those breakfasts were worth it!

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Lombardi time really is a great concept.

3. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I had an editor on a weekly trade years ago, when I was in my 20s, who always gave me all sorts of shit if I walked in at 9:02, usually because the MBTA was running late. Everyone else , including this particular editor much of the time, was bailing like Fred Flintstone the second the clock struck 5, while I -- as one of two news writers -- was staying until 7 or 8 working most nights. He said it was a big deal because people could see me coming in 2 minutes later than them and they couldn't see me staying 2 or 3 hours later. Still, I sucked it up and got up earlier. Now I'm a full-time HS teacher for my day job. My first class is at 7:35 AM every day and I have a 40 minute commute. I leave the house at 6 to make damn sure I'm not only on time for my first class (there's no requirement that I be there before then), but that I'm there at least 1/2 hour ahead of time to be organized and ready to go. Some mornings this is really tough, especially when I've been up until 2 in the morning to file one of my articles on time (I still contribute to the same paper every week; that editor is long gone). But I do it and somehow manage to eat breakfast too. It's unfathomable to me that a teacher could just walk in, turn on the lights as the kids are arriving and say, "cool, I'm ready to go." But docking him a half-year's pay seems like punishment enough if administration has been dropping the ball and not engaging in progressive discipline as they're supposed to do (that stuff is not hard). I've seen a lot more bozo administrators cycle through in my 12 years of teaching than incompetent, irresponsible teachers.

Donny in his element likes this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Should have told the editor you would make sure everyone saw you leave from now on. Heck, you'll hold the door for him.

5. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Would love to have done that. Not so easy to do that to your boss when you're in your mid-20s.

Draft saved Draft deleted