1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2015 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Red Sox did it too -- and were actually the first to do it -- in 1912, '15 and '16. They added another in 1918 as well, so you could technically say they did it twice.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Dickey complete game, 4 baserunners.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Brewers' starter looks 12.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I know the timings bad but check out the stud in the Mets rotation.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I ask this mildly tongue-in-cheek but also because it is how Lincecum earned his second Cy Young, but is there any chance Greinke and Kershaw split votes and Bumgarner ends up with the award?

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

How do you split votes? You vote for you thinks best not the team representative. They aren't obligated to vote for a Dodger.

That is not how Lincecum won his second cy young.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No. That's the short answer.

The longer answer: Greinke has six starts left. Say he goes 40 more innings and allows five more runs. He will finish with the second-lowest ERA of the live-ball era.

Besides, Spartan, you don't want him to win the Cy Young Award --his option years ('18 and '19) are $12 million right now, but they jump to $14 million if he finishes top-three in Cy Young voting (he hasn't yet) and $16 million if he wins it.

Damn is that a team-friendly contract. He's making $6.75 million this season.

8. Spartan Squad

Not what I meant, but fair point. When Timmy got his second, Wainwright got the most first place votes and Carpenter was second. It could be argued that had one or the other not had the season they did, Timmy doesn't win the Cy Young because voters wouldn't have been split over who was better between the two Cardinals. I know it isn't a vote by team. It's a rank the pitchers vote and they get points based on how they're ranked. So it then turns into a NASCAR series championship: it's the pitcher with the most points not the most wins/first place votes.

So my question becomes if enough people rank Kershaw higher than Grenkie but are universally consistent on Bumgarner, is there a shot neither Dodger gets if?

And please, I'm not taking myself seriously with this question. I think there will have to be some serious colluding or some people who need their votes taken away if Greinke doesn't win it.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Right now, Greinke is a clear choice over Kershaw. Also, I'm not sure Bumgarner is next in line after those two. Arrieta has been better. Scherzer and deGrom also belong in the discussion.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Bought my Blue Jays playoff tickets today.

Went to the game tonight. Dickey was great, but it is the one Anthopoulos move I hated (and JC referenced above). I never cheer when I'm in the crowd, and some fan called me on it. Was pretty funny. But I don't think I should do it, unless my kid is hitting.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You don't have to vote for a Dodger, meaning your vote isn't split.

This isn't a 3 party election where the left splits the vote and the right gets in. (Canada)

12. Spartan Squad

OK I'm making a ridiculous point badly which is killing my ability to be funny to no one but myself. I keep bringing up the Dodgers aspect and I shouldn't for what I'm trying to say. Look the point I'm trying to badly make is in the unlikely scenario that Grenkie doesn't collect all the first place votes along with a few from the A American League, is there a way that people debating over who is better between two pitchers who by coincidence happen to be on the same team cause point totals for one to diminish and allow someone to win the Cy Young who might otherwise have finished in second or possibly third. In my ridiculous train of thought, that guy is Mad Bum. It could be Arrieta, but I don't watch him as much as I do Bumgarner and therefore my LTLesk man crush goes to him instead.

I'm realizing I should have gotten drunk before writing this out so I could have an excuse for being incoherent. But it has been a long day.

Draft saved Draft deleted