1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deflategate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cranberry, Jan 19, 2015.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Still waiting for you to answer my question. Do you think balls were intentionally deflated? Or just one ball?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He lied to investigators and he destroyed his phone. Sorry, but that is evidence whether you like it or not.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Good god OOP, what I think doesn't matter, it's called due process.

Yes, I probably think he deflated some balls, like kickers and QB's have done before. It's irrelevant what I think. You seem to still believe the 12 out of 14 balls were deflated BS.

Destroying a phone is proof, a positive drug test is not.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Ok, JC, I will admit I missed something. The 12 of 14 isn't right? What was the number of deflated specimens?

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

You really have a hard time understanding what constitutes actual evidence. Just saying something is evidence doesn't make it so.
    Evidence is indisputable. Evidence would have made Goodell's case stronger than the "more probable than not that he was generally aware" distinction which appears to be the best they could come up with.
    Did Brady lie to investigators? Perhaps. I wouldn't be surprised if he did.
    But let's not pretend this was ever a real investigation in the first place. The NFL reached a conclusion and paid a slimy lawyer millions of dollars to write a report that concluded what they concluded, evidence be damned.

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Didn't even think about this until a buddy pointed it out. Look at who his wife is. If there are pics of her on his phone it would be insane to turn it over.

Vombatus likes this.
  7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

There's a reason Mort and King have had to apologize.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

No shit, that's the first think you think of. Or n maybe he's cheating with a gay midget. Doesn't matter, only an idiot gives up his phone to his employer. It's not a company phone.

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

BING!

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Breaking right now. ... The judge overturned the 4-game suspension.

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Not plenty. Just the phone, and for that he needs to be punished. Why four games? In addition, why is the team given the harshest punishment in history? As Schiez said, Brady should be a first-time offender on an equipment violation. There have been many players and teams who have compromised the integrity of the game (Browns and Falcons, recently), and they've, essentially, received slaps on the wrist. And that's with concrete evidence and admission of guilt. The league has nothing even close to that on Brady, only non-cooperation, and he gets four games.

I'm a Patriots fan. You're a Steelers fan. You hate Brady. I love him. That's fine. But if we were both neutral, neither of us, I believe, could justify this punishment. A precedent has been set previously, and this goes so far and above that precedent.

To me, all of the owners in the NFL should be scared by this. Because it could be them next. Giving Goodell the power to be judge, jury and executioner is a scary thought.

Draft saved Draft deleted