1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2015 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKershaw

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

This and maybe they get Greinke when he opts out of his contract.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No. As I explained above, it's too easy in baseball to isolate individual contributions for that to happen.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The split votes scenario can happen when discussing MVP, but not as much with Cy Young.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I think Kershaw and Bumgarner are going split the lefty vote.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I wonder how often this happens ... Highest average in Brewers starting lineup tonight is the pitcher, Taylor Jungmann, at .308. Braun is second-highest at .282.

7. bigpern23

It's probably not uncommon because of the disparity in plate appearances. The small sample size could make that happen pretty frequently.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Fanboy crushes aside, my point was even if the award somehow doesn't got o Greinke or Kershaw, Bumgarner shouldn't be next in line. Arrieta has been better and you could also make an argument for deGrom and Scherzer before you get to Bumgarner. This is solely based on how they have pitched this season, not who I think is better overall or who I would want going forward.

9. old_tony

I would say "not unheard of" rather than "not uncommon." Doesn't "not uncommon" translate into "common"?

Edit: Jungmann led off the third with a double off the wall to raise his average to .333 (9 of 27). He was left stranded as the 1 and 2 hitters grounded meekly to the mound, Braun walked, and the No 4 hitter grounded weakly to second.

10. bigpern23

Well, you got me curious, so I started looking and below are the teams that have a pitcher leading in BA, regardless of plate appearances:
    TOR (Marco Estrada, .333)
    NYY (Branden Pinder, 1.000)
    BAL (Jason Garcia, 1.000; Mike Wright, .500)
    BOS (Justin Masterson, .667)
    KC (Chris Young, .500)
    MIN (Mike Pelfrey, .667)
    CLE (Carlos Carrasco, 1.000)
    CHW (Jeff Samardzija, .500)
    DET (Daniel Norris, .500)

Then I got bored, checked a couple NL teams (the Mets and Nats) and found it the same. I'm now assuming it's the case with most teams. So, yes, definitely common.

11. old_tony

Now the question is how many are relievers? I don't assume guys with .500 or above have more than 2-3 ABs, so the idea that they're even in the starting batting order would definitely be "uncommon."

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Pinder and Garcia are the only relief pitchers on that list.

Draft saved Draft deleted