1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Jan 6, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Since Snyder bought the team, probably the least crazy thing to happen were Portis' midweek interviews in costume.

franticscribe likes this.
  2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Bust: Jamarcus Russell

JC likes this.
  3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

By most accounts, people are digging the Hard Knocks season with the Texans. Let's all remember that -- I think -- the Redskins were next up if Houston said no.

That would have been the best TV probably ever.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Even better if ISIS parachutes in during filming and beheads Snyder.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The local Safeway better stock up on "light beer."

The best part is the McCloughans' apology came less than a half-hour after the team belligerently said it was fake and being reported to league security.

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

And all these years, I've been thinking adulthood was going to be different from seventh grade.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

For all of the sanctimonious words about "this is what female sports reporters have to deal with", a healthy faction of them can help solve this...

...by not screwing the people they cover anymore.

I can't imagine the GM's wife wouldn't have gone on this platform unless there was some level of validity to it. That's a high-profile job and she did her best to destroy him...and the reporter.

There's a reason that Playmakers and Ballers had/have attractive female TV reporters screwing an athlete/source. It's because it happens. A lot.

About every NFL and MLB team I've covered, there's been at least one young female reporter who has something going on with someone with the team. Some haven't even been shy about it, partying with players after clinching a playoff spot.

In the TV side, an attractive 23-year-old female sports reporter can go from Market 190 to an Atlanta, a Seattle, a Tampa, a Miami with a minimum of actual sports knowledge. I've seen it happen for 20 years - once had to train one at a previous station on why teams punt on 4th down before she covered her first NFL game. Quagmire. I didn't get to her script in time to save her from saying "...the Bills lost 7 to 33 to Miami". Or maybe I just let her say it on the air. I forgot...

A news director will see her reel and think, "gee, I can pay her peanuts since she is in Victoria, TX, we'll stick her on sports reporter and keep her off the anchor desk because her lack of knowledge will become apparent but, with that body, no one in that (NFL team here) locker room will ignore a question from her."

It works out for everyone. Except for women who go into sports reporting/journalism because they love sports, have no interest in screwing a QB or first baseman or using a year in sports as a launch pad to Access Hollywood, where their real interest lies.

If it wasn't about sex appeal for the athletes, stations and regional networks might hire a 24-year-old male sideline/team reporter. Tell me the next time you see one of those.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

My question is this: Is the Dan Snyder shitshow now to the point where, when the time comes, Jay Gruden can walk away from this debacle relatively unscathed? In other words, how much of the blame does Gruden get for this, as opposed to just being put in an impossible position?

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I heard a radio guy call this Fellategate.

Hokie_pokie and JackReacher like this.
  10. JackReacher

That's a great question, MC. You'd think any future employer would understand the position Gruden was in, and that it was a job he couldn't turn down even though he probably knew what he was getting into. But I also feel certain that other future employers will believe some of the blame falls on him.

He was brought in to develop the quarterback position. What is his history of doing that? Who exactly has he developed, successfully? #RhetoricalQuestions

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yeah, Gruden hasn't exactly handled the whole deal in the most professional manner.

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  12. JackReacher

Unless Cousins miraculously turns into a borderline Pro Bowler, Gruden will be probably be gone during or shortly after this season.

Draft saved Draft deleted