1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two copy editors needed for SEC football season - Atlanta Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by AJC SEC, Sep 2, 2015.

1. AJC SEC

AJC SEC Member

We’re looking for two copy editors who can work 40 hours per week through football season. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution is expanding its coverage of SEC football. Persons must be willing to work four- and eight-hour shifts on flexible days, including full shifts all Saturdays and Sundays.

The job lasts through the SEC Championship game. Outstanding knowledge of the SEC is a plus. You can work remotely as long as you have access to Wifi and Google docs. With each story, you must be able to correct typos, bad grammar, proper citation and verify all facts. With our younger writers, you may even have to work with them on story angles, making sure the most important news is first, etc. So it’s mostly as a copy editor, but also as a part-time writing coach, if needed.

Please send resume and clips to SEC.Bloggers@gmail.com.

Pay depends on experience.

PS it will be editing the type of copy that appears on the AJC’s new UGA website, DawgNation.com

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

What clips does a copy editor have? And since it's basically a four-month temp job, I would assume there are no health benefits.

3. Biff Tannen

Biff Tannen Member

I'm assuming this position will support the new AJC project seccountry.com. If that is case, this will be a thankless job, trying to add sizzle to some pretty milquetoast writing. Considering Atlanta's position as the unofficial "capital of the South," launching a comprehensive SEC project is a good idea (even if it is 10 years too late). The problem is that hiring college seniors/recent grads to do the writing and trying to dress it up by hiring a couple of temporary copy editors (who must also be skilled developmental editors and fact checkers {at no extra cost!}) is trying to fix one half-measure with another. Why are you hiring writers so prone to "bad grammar" that you need two people working full-time to polish it?

Hire some talented writers who can copy edit themselves and/or one another. Invest in that and the site will flourish. Otherwise, it's just SDS without the brand recognition.

Full disclosure: you have an applicant sitting in your inbox who could handle pretty much all of this. While he may be a tad brisk, he isn't wrong. Also, he is me.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

You're hired!

Zads07 likes this.
  5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Interesting approach Biff. Shit all over what the paper's doing, then say, "hey, I'm available!"

Zads07 and BDC99 like this.
  6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Surely, you don't think that's a problem? :)

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Why doesn't the AJC make like a tree and hire him?

Gator likes this.
  8. Biff Tannen

Biff Tannen Member

Because I totally expect them to hire me.

You left out the vocative case comma before Biff. Writers House is never gonna rep your YA contemp if you can't command language.

Look at that, I'm already copy editing.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    ewebeck likes this.
  9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Rats. Beat me to it.

BDC99 likes this.
  10. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

I think I can die a happy man, having seen the vocative case cited on a sports journalism website.

Thank you, Biff.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Congrats. Put it on your resume.

12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Oh, there goes Biff again, trying to fix another journalistic enterprise without a shred of actual journalism experience. That is so Biff.

LesJ9488 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted