1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 2015 Week 1 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Arizona also looked like it was reading its own press clippings, giving up 32 points to Texas-San Antonio.

Also, Scooby Wright got hurt.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

This. This was my big takeaway from last night: I guess the shitty running game wasn't all on Hoke. Which is a shame (if you're a Michigan fan, not really a shame for the rest of us), because the RB looked like he might be pretty good if he wasn't getting hit 5 yards behind the line every carry. Had a super impressive run where he broke like 5 tackles...en route to a 2-yard loss...while running mostly north-south on the play.

I'm not entirely sure what it is - I thought they'd be better than they were. Their guards looked slow getting their first punch in. I'm not an expert in line play. So...yeah. But that was one thing I noticed.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Utah is a good team and was playing at home (and at altitude). I wouldn't read anymore into it than that.

Remember, Nick Saban went 7-6 his first year at Alabama. These things take time.

4. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

You're correct Steak...these things absolutely do take time. Honestly, though, I expected the Michigan turnaround to be a bit quicker than it's going evidently going to end up being.

If nothing else, Hoke recruited well (rating wise...although we know what a crap shoot actually is) on the OL. A number of kids that I know, as a fanboi looser, that Ohio State was recruiting pretty hard. Not that I expected a magical, overnight transformation...but I expected more than THAT. Considering Harbaugh's power scheme. that's a big problem.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The shitty running game is still on Hoke because those are all his recruits. And if that running back had any vision, he'd have been close to 100 yards instead of just running into the pile and falling across the line of scrimmage. There were at least three times he had a lane outside and flat missed it. Like this right before the pick-six.
    [​IMG]

To be fair, that Utah defense up front is supposed to be good.

At the very least they pass blocked well, which was total disaster last year.

I was surprised the USC transfer, No. 32, looked slower than the holdover backs. The guy who is their best back tore an ACL late last season. He looked the most dynamic of them all before the injury.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You have your envelope ready for Tuesday, Chef?

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Knew that TCU/Minn number was a trap.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They lost on the road in the season opener to a team that won nine games last year.

I'm not sure exactly what you expected, but there's a reason Utah was almost a touchdown favorite.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm sure I hit my peak last night when I hit on a 4-team teaser. It's all downhill from here, and it's not even the first Saturday of the season yet.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Zoinks!

Batman and LongTimeListener like this.
  11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I just feel so good this morning, seeing real football talk. If I saw one more little leaguer, if I saw one more foreign tennis player, if I heard Mike Scioscia say he was turning the page one more time, I was going to puke.

I Should Coco and Stoney like this.
  12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

More like "Ruh Roh"

I Should Coco, Stoney and poindexter like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted