1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deflategate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cranberry, Jan 19, 2015.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

But there's actually no evidence they were deflated.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

After ALL this, Thursday's opener will be the highest-rated Thursday game ever. One way or the other, the NFL always wins.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

The NFL used the Wells Report in conjunction with the CBA to argue it could unilaterally impose this penalty on Tom Brady.
    The judge disagreed with the NFL's position. Look at the line of questioning Berman had for the league.

Judge rules for Tom Brady, overturns four-game deflate-gate suspension; Goodell to appeal

The evidence, or lack thereof, certainly factored into the way he ruled.
    Yes, his ruling does not mean Tom Brady is innocent. But he absolutely shredded the NFL's view of the facts in ruling the way he did.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Industrial Justice sounds like a band I want to see play live.

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The destruction of the phone is meaningless. The NFL didn't know about it before it suspended Brady and Wells told the press Brady didn't need to turn over the phone.

So you are left with Brady not knowing McNally's name, not that he denied knowing him. He sees the guy at most 12 times a year. He knows him by a nickname. That's the extent of your noncooperation argument.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

So far I've seen two stories online about reporters asking their local high school coaches for reaction to the decision. This baffles me. Yes, they coach football, but what kind of expertise can they offer? A few years back, we asked local high school football coaches about the 4th-and-2 play, and asked if they would have made the same decision in the same situation. I'm all about localizing a story, but this just seems silly.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

In the wake of the federal court ruling against the NFL, Roger Goodell has suspended Cris Carter. He found his fall guy

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I will either watch something else or watch the game with the MUTE button turned on throughout. I can't imagine a more painful three hours than to listen to a bunch of talking heads lay out the case for Brady and Kraft sainthood.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Just hope all the trains are running on time this week.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  11. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Papa Brady gives a radio talk-show host a pretty good tongue lashing. The problem with these yahoos on the radio (and OOP) is they want to call Brady a cheater, but they don't keep up with all of the facts. They don't read the Wells report, they don't read all of the court documents, they don't know everything there is to know. They just have their minds made up, and they try, feebly, to defend their position,

Brady Sr. Rips Goodell on Radio

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

They should read sj.com instead. That helps me form a view of lots of things, albeit maybe a bit warped.

LongTimeListener and cranberry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted