1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 2015 Week 1 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Didn't expect a win, for sure. In general, about the result they got...but looking better doing it.

Did expect more improvement on the offensive side of the ball. More drive off the ball, quicker hands into the fight, better lateral foot movement, in run blocking. Backs that fired into the hole, as opposed to meandering up. Less making dumb throws that result in pick 6's. I expected them to look LESS like the Michigan teams of the last 3 seasons. While I have no question that JH will get it fixed, that's exactly what they DID look like.

2. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

OK, you must have been waving a banner when you posted that.

Layman likes this.
  3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I stayed up for the whole Colorado-Hawaii game. Very sloppy game. CBS analyst Aaron Taylor is overbearing. Very knowledgeable, says pertinent things. But he he has that big, booming voice and he NEVER stops talking. NEVER.

4. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

Really? Why?

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

To see the ridiculous fix job by the refs at the end of the game.

Nobody should ever agree to play a nonconference game at Hawaii without demanding to bring its own officiating crew. Not two or three guys -- the whole crew.

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware Hawaii had a reputation for getting some home cooking from the refs. Then again, I haven't thought about Hawaii (the team) since Georgia shellacked them in the Sugar Bowl. Is that a widely understood thing?

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In the mid 2000s Wisconsin, Northwestern and Michigan State all played nonconference games at Hawaii within a 3-4 year stretch and all got royally fucked out of games in blatant fixes by the refs.
    B1G teams by and large don't play at Hawaii anymore, partially because they've adopted the blanket demand, "we bring our own refs or go fuck yourselves."

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I'm usually up until 1 or 1:30 anyway and since this was a pretty close game (and I have friends who are UH alums), I stuck it out until 2.
    Biased officiating is legendary in the Islands. That last play, it looked totally accidental. The refs were tossing the ball to the one who marks it ready for play and it hit one of the Hawaii linemen and bounced away. They should have stopped the clock when the ball got away from the refs. The ref who is stationed with the linebackers was really trying to hurry them up. But it's not the refs' fault Colorado ran play that didn't net a first down and didn't stop the clock.
    There was another big call against Colorado on the previous punt. The Hawaii return man fumbled, but they called a kick interference penalty. The announcer said the cover man stepped on the receiver's toe, but I couldn't tell from the replay. He definitely didn't bump him and he wasn't in his face.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That was really bad. Stop the clock/or reset it. Spot the ball and let it wind with three seconds. If CU gets it off in time. Fine. If not fine, but that was pretty bad mechanics from the officiating crew.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Smoo hanging with Baylor 28-21, 7 till thr half.

11. Songbird

Baylor has a NT named Billings who is going to be good on Sunday.

12. Songbird

Baylor 273 yards in 1st.

Baylor -3 yards in 2nd.

Draft saved Draft deleted