1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slut shaming in the Buffalo News?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 10, 2015.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So this is Schroedinger's rape?

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

There's a difference between chance and probability. There is a 50/50 chance it was Correa, because there are only two possible outcomes of your scenario. I'm not doing the math it would require to determine the probability.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I couldn't find anything definitive, but it makes a difference. My interpretation was that Croce, a relatively powerful and influential person in Buffalo, initiated contact and sought to place a specific narrative in the Buffalo News, which then obliged him (15 paragraphs!) without challenging any of his assertions or seeking corroboration from members of Croce's staff or club patrons. They even published his "no skin in the game" quote. It was shameful journalism.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Huh? So 365 days a year there is a 50/50 chance of rain?

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

No, but if you said it's going to rain Monday or Tuesday, there would be a 50/50 chance it's Tuesday. Probabilities might show the conditions make rain more likely on Monday.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Presumably she was at Patrick Kane's house and is aware of the accuser's identity. So, yeah, same deal as the bar owner.

You're losing this one, Dick. You're going to have to settle for bat-flipping on your other eight threads.

JackReacher likes this.
  8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Fair to say she has a better idea of what happened that night than the biased bar owner, and she's speaking appropriately to a grand jury that can weigh her bias vs. testimony.

9. Dick Whitman

Hung out with three high school pals last night, along with three brothers of one of the guys. All good guys. Most of them good dads and good husbands. All of them, as far as I've ever known, very respectful of women.

To a man, they were all 100 percent convinced that Kane is being extorted for money.

I wasn't shocked. That's always the rationalization. But it was interesting to get it out of a group of relatively level-headed guys. Their certainty was striking.

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

What were these opinions supported by?

11. Dick Whitman

Nothing, of course. One of the guys even was under the mistaken impression that Kane had already been cleared, so they obviously aren't following it as closely as we are. They are all Chicago sports fans, but not necessarily hero-worshipping zealots. I was the only one there with a college degree, although they are all smart guys.

It's just an anecdote illustrating how pervasive the idea is that women are just out there preying on celebrity men in these situations. The focus tends to be on the #ISupport88-type meatheads. But even among this group of pretty civilized, heads-on-straight, shot-and-a-beer guys, there was no doubt that this is just a coldly calculated shakedown.

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Apparently, a few Chicago-based sports blogs are reporting a rumour about the accuser being involved in a similar, previous incident. That could be the foundation of your friends' belief.

The witnesses (and possibly Kane himself) will be appearing before a grand jury this week. Maybe we get some clarity after.

Draft saved Draft deleted