1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Open at Flushing Meadow

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw24, Aug 31, 2015.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Serena now 2-for-13 in break-point conversions. Mattek-Sands is 3-for-3.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

And after getting a break, Serena gives it right back. But she finally gets another break to win the second set, 7-5. Needed three break points again from 0-40 so she's now 3 for 16 on break points.

Time to close it out now with a 6-1 set.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Serena's finally picking up steam -- a break to win the second set.

Might be time to say goodnight, Bethanie.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Three down, four to go. That was a steam-roll of a third set.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Same shit she's done all year. Sleepwalk through first sets (she's lost a dozen of 'em now in victories), then two sets of fist pumps and "Come ON!"s as she wipes the court with her opponent. Rinse, repeat.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Nadal was 151-0 when up two sets in a Grand Slam. But Fognini came back to beat him in a classic.

Nadal still stopped to sign autographs after the collapse.

7. BTExpress

Nadal had only 18 unforced errors --- a ridiculously small amount for 5 sets --- compared to 57 for his (albeit tons more aggressive) opponent.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

Nadal now leaves way too many balls short and in the middle of the court, allowing guys like Fognini (one of the best shot-makers out there) to blast winner after winner. The difference last night was Fognini stopped missing the routine shots that usually do him in.

Nadal is kind of reminding me of Wozniacki in that they both hustle and play great defense, but the offense isn't there. She has somehow succeeded despite never having it and his has largely disappeared.

9. BTExpress

I wonder if he is able to put the kind of spin on the ball he was a few years ago. His balls' RPMs (or RsPM) were off the charts when he was at his best.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Best day I've ever had at the Open. Got there about 10:30, settled in on Court 5. Men's doubles was first. Quick match, four guys I've never heard of, but still fun because doubles is so fun to see up close -- and I was in the front row. I was really there for the second match -- Hingis in doubles. Her team killed their foes and Hingis was tremendous, ton of great volleys, some incredible winners from the baseline thanks to ridiculous angles. She really seems to be having fun too in her role as elder statesman (it was 20 years ago that I had my first phone conversation with my future college roommate. A stranger. We were about two weeks from moving in. Guy told me in that first convo how incredibly hot this Martina Hingis was--he was watching the Open at the time. She was 14.).

I saw a bit of Isner but then his opponent retired. I then had a 34 dollar lunch of a chicken sandwich, waffle fries, soda and water. But it was tasty.

Finally spent nearly four hours in the Grandstand. Saw Donald Young fall behind by two sets, get treatment on his back for about 10 minutes, then come back from the dead (he lost second set 6-0). Won in five. Great atmosphere. Love the Grandstand, and I didn't realize it's set to be torn down. The size, the shadows, all add to the environment. Crowd was obviously very into it. I never really realized how much players whine toward their coaching/family box until I see matches in person. Every point they're looking over their forlorn if they lose the point.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The honey deuce at 5:00 after several hot hours of watching tennis .... Worth every penny.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  12. ringer

ringer Active Member

Does anyone else think it's beyond crappy that the Boston Globe didn't write a tribute to long-time tennis reporter Bud Collins? Instead, it just ran the NYT piece when the US Open press center was dedicated to him.

Draft saved Draft deleted