1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2015 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 5, 2015.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That wasn't me. And you didn't specify any number of at-bats until after bigpern questioned your statement about Jungmann. It may be silly including guys with two or three at-bats, but no more silly than including guys with 26 or 27.

Also, your bit about two or three at-bats is an exaggeration. He didn't bother to list the batting average leaders for National League teams, but you do have some starting pitchers there who lead among players who are in starting lineups (sometimes) with five or six at-bats, like Steven Matz of the Mets and Henderson Alvarez of the Marlins.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I know it wasn't you.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

4. outofplace

Quite certain you know the rest of it as well.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm prolly just fanboy-ing it up here, but last night sure seemed like a possible turning point in the race for the NL East. Just a feeling. I'm sure the Nats will still blow it. Goddammit.

Vombatus likes this.
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

On a night the Dodgers and Padres combine for 8 homers in the San Diego cavern, the Giants and Rockies combine for 3 runs in the rarefied air. Strange game sometimes.

Dodgers up 7.5 but it's still not over. They have a tendency to ease up. If it's down to 5.5 by tomorrow night and the Giants sweep their final-week 4-game set with the Dodgers ...

7. Songbird

[​IMG]

Baseball by BSmile
    101 Years Ago Today: Babe Ruth Hits His 1st Pro Home Run!
    Hanlan’s Point Stadium, Toronto - September 5, 1914
    ~ Babe Ruth was only 19-years-old when he launched his first professional home run as a member of the Providence Grays, a highlight on a day in which he pitched a 9-0 shutout vs. the Toronto Maple Leafs. It was a sign of even better days ahead for The Babe!

https://m.facebook.com/BaseballByBS...8074018584701/?type=1&source=48&ref=bookmarks

YankeeFan likes this.
  8. Songbird

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yes, I know that a few pitchers with 2 or 3 at-bats can occasionally be hitting .500 or .333. They don't generally count when I'm referring to starting lineups with an actual body of work.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Looks like Matt Harvey is Strasburg-ing himself:

11. outofplace

I forget. Didn't Strasburg say he wanted to pitch and the team wouldn't let him? I thought he complained about the decision at the time.

12. outofplace

As we were speaking about NL Cy Young candidates, Jake Arrieta dropped his ERA to 2.05 by shutting out the Diamondbacks for eight innings today. He struck out seven, gave up four hits and didn't walk anybody.

Draft saved Draft deleted