1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

FWIW, when I underwent an emergency appendectomy two years ago (a procedure during which I nearly died due to complications from anesthesia), I did not shop for my medical services. When I broke my toe a few months earlier and I was referred to an orthopedist, and I did shop around for X-Rays (the orthopedist ended up being the least expensive option by about $300, IIRC). It's probably the first (and only) time in my life I ever shopped around.

Not saying anything about the level of care, just pointing out that I'm as guilty as anyone of not shopping around for health care, but when I did, it saved me money.

Thankfully, I was insured through my state's health exchange and I incurred about $2,000 in medical expenses between the two incidents.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That fact tells me that the market isn't working and shouldn't be used.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

But the market is being used, thus, Americans should shop for their health services.

old_tony likes this.
  6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I bet Caitlyn Jenner shopped around.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Caitlyn Jenner didn't have to. Caitlyn Jenner didn't have the surgery.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

The U.S. medical system is difficult to navigate, even without looking for the best price deal.

In a lot of regions, it's not very easy to schedule appointments for routine tests or procedures.

After an accident or during an emergency, there often are no options.

When I destroyed my collarbone a a couple of years ago, I almost had to refuse transport by the ambulance because they would not wait about 5 minutes until my wife could get there to take my bike and truck home. Then, I was taken to the hospital that had been designated the trauma receiving center for that day. The ER doctor was good, but luck-of-the-draw. The orthopedic surgeon I was referred to was, from my perspective, not a good choice. It was an ordeal to find someone who I thought could put my shoulder back together, and I had the advantage of having two brothers who are doctors and could offer advice from afar.

We also were the medical guardians for my wife's elderly aunt. Just finding medical care that was of good quality and timely was difficult even though costs were completely covered my medicare and supplemental insurance.

Add bargain hunting on top of all that, and I would also be shopping for mental heath care.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

HanSenSE and old_tony like this.
  10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Nit picky Dicky.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Cran doesn't pay attention.

old_tony and cranberry like this.
  12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

My wife received a Nuelasta injection from a time controlled device affixed to her arm during chemotherapy. Google Nuelasta if the you want to know what it does medically. The injection isn't painful, however the effect is severe pain.

The oncologist billed the insurance company over $13,000 for a single treatment and the individual chemo treatment was over 20 thousand, inclusive of Nuelasta. anybody going to shop around for coupons or a discount if your oncologist puts a particular drug in your regiment? You go into debt or bankruptcy. Or you have insurance which has a price it pays and guarantees that the insured incurs no additional costs on the treatment. I think the insurance paid better than half the submitted amount. Again, whose shopping for cheaper chemo treatments?We've been through lots of this. Recently.

There is a genetic test on my wife's particular cancer, if it's positive, they do a double mastectomy and a radical hysterectomy, after chemotherapy. THANK GOODNESS it was negative for us. In addition to that horror, if it's positive the likelihood our daughters will get cancer greatly increase. How much would you pay for that test? The only lab that does it is in Colorado, or at least the only one close to the east coast. We had to pay the difference between the billed price and what the insurance covered, over $400.00. WORTH IT.

SHopping for medical care is unlike anything. The consequences are dire, the needs are often immediate. And is there an expense that more correlates with effectiveness. Would you go to WalMart or Costco for chemo and surgery?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.