1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If only we'd had one.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Or, the military brass it's continually shrieked Obungo treats with disdain.

(Of course, their advice is pretty consistent: "Charge in with guns blasting and we'll figure everything out later.")

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Thank god she's no longer ovulating; can you imagine what a hormonal bitch she'd have been, finger just above the nuclear button, 2-3 days a month? Amirite? Let's hope the deep-thinkers on the other side of the aisle can continue to work towards Making America Great by giving it back to a sane-thinking orange-skinned white man.

HC and Lugnuts like this.
  4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Here's what Bernie is up against:

There are 1,939 total delegates left to get, and Bernie has to win 1,314 of them to get to the magic number. As long as he keeps splitting delegates with Hillary, that's not happening.

Bernie does very well in caucuses, but after Wyoming there are only two caucuses left: Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands, for a whopping total of 14 delegates.

The rest of the states left are primaries. Bernie has won just six of the 22 primaries held so far, and two of them are in his backyard of New Hampshire and Vermont. Of the other four, you look at Bernie's win in Michigan and the 67 delegates he pulled, and then discover that, hey, Hillary pulled 63. Or look at Wisconsin, which was considered a resounding victory for Bernie — well, except for the annoying fact that he only gained +10 net delegates while facing a gap of almost 700.

Bernie's had a good run and he's generated a lot of clicks for the media, but he just didn't play in Dixie, and that's going to be the ballgame.

Lugnuts likes this.
  5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You're not wrong, but it's fairer to include the numbers without superdelegates, under the assumption that they don't want to be seen as deciding an election outside of extreme circumstances and would switch their vote as they did in 2008 when many had pledged to Clinton but switched to Obama when he had a clear lead.

Using just pledged delegates, he needs 932 of the remaining 1,647, or 56.5%. He's only won 44.3% to date and the remaining map isn't really all that good for him unless you think California is another Washington, so he's still just as toast by this method.

amraeder and cranberry like this.
  6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But what about the idea that the superdelegate count has been used to create Hillary's inevitability, which has affected the vote count? I don't know if that has been quantified (or if it can be), but the theory does seem to have some legs.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The sense of inevitability for an HRC nomination arises from a number of factors, not just super delegates -- experience, organization, endorsements, recognition, etc. Bernie was never going to mount a serious challenge.

For example, I knew the nomination was a cinch the minute Lena Dunham came onboard.

8. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Survey experiments can tease that out. Randomly distribute cues to respondents, such as "Clinton has a lead of ____ pledged delegates" and ""Clinton has a lead of ____ delegates" with the second treatment including super delegate totals. From there, researchers can determine the effects of those cues.

doctorquant likes this.
  9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I've always been under the impression that it would be impossible to deport all 11-12 million illegal immigrants. It would just cost too much and it's just impossible.
    Having the will to do it doesn't mean anything if you can't pay for it and it's logistically impossible.

This guy thinks it can be done and paid for.
    I'm not convinced.
    And if anyone is taking what they're saying on Fox News seriously, I can't take them seriously.

Immigration policy

10. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

I'm not trolling here. I think you need a new hobby besides reading Infowars and Fox News.

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Here's something I don't get. I've seen the number that 74 percent of Americans think the country is on the wrong track. Totally get there's unrest. Just not sure how the number is that high considering just how bad things were 7-8 years ago.

That number also seems high when taking into account President Obama's approval rating is 53 percent.

Is it a matter of how the question is worded in the poll? I guess most people think things can always be better than they are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.